Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which combo would you choose?

Hi, so after much help and consideration of risk etc etc, these are the contenders. 

Take into account I'm soon to be on the wrong side of 60, preferred visual viewing = planets, doubles, brighter dso, planetary AP, dso AP. 

Current scopes 127mm mak, 80mm mak

Option 1: used SW 120ED + probably new C9.25. 

Option 2 : used SW 150ED  + used C11

I also plan on getting the az-eq6. 

Storage and my back need consideration too. 

Looking forward to your thoughts 

27 minutes ago, Flame Nebula said:

Storage and my back need consideration too. 

Indeed.  I suggest you look up the recommendations for lifting heavy objects, and see how that fits with the weights of the above-mentioned objects and whether you will be lifting them from the ground or just from e.g. a bench to the tripod.  Personally I take great care to avoid lifting my CPC800 (20KG) off the ground and endeavor to keep my back straight when lifting it.  If I have to hold something up at arm's length, then 10 Kg (the weight of an 8" Newt) is plenty.

I move the CPC800 OTA/fork assy around on a trolley.  One can buy special trolleys that take a tripod and associated kit.

12 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Indeed.  I suggest you look up the recommendations for lifting heavy objects, and see how that fits with the weights of the above-mentioned objects and whether you will be lifting them from the ground or just from e.g. a bench to the tripod.  Personally I take great care to avoid lifting my CPC800 (20KG) off the ground and endeavor to keep my back straight when lifting it.  If I have to hold something up at arm's length, then 10 Kg (the weight of an 8" Newt) is plenty.

I move the CPC800 OTA/fork assy around on a trolley.  One can buy special trolleys that take a tripod and associated kit.

Thanks Geoff, 

I'm also visualising various hoists, winches etc. I need to start lifting weights! 😬. There must be various ways to lift these scopes onto the mount. I can see some YouTube viewing coming up! 😳

Are you planning to swap them onto the same mount or dual mount? If the former, perhaps the SCT isn't the best unless you have assistance or a winch. Even with my C6 I'm careful to bearhug mount it and be damn certain its dovetail is seated correctly and clamped before moving my body off the back of the scope. A refractor you can simply mount a top handle or equipment rail, due to the lower box volume they're easier to handle.

Edited by Elp

17 minutes ago, Elp said:

Are you planning to swap them onto the same mount or dual mount? If the former, perhaps the SCT isn't the best unless you have assistance or a winch. Even with my C6 I'm careful to bearhug mount it and be damn certain its dovetail is seated correctly and clamped before moving my body off the back of the scope. A refractor you can simply mount a top handle or equipment rail, due to the lower box volume they're easier to handle.

Hi Elp, 

I think the C9.25 may come with a carrier handle. If not I could ask the seller to drill holes into it and add a handle. What could possibly go wrong with that. 🤔😬

But, I see your point. Gravity - who needs it?! 

I'm sure out there somewhere, a genius solution exists, for raising then lowering into position - effectively a second pair of hands. 

Mark

I did see a pier on 365 the other day, it has a motorised up down axis...

A more cost effective solution would be an electric hoist or a scissor lift truck, but with the latter you'd still need to lift it manually.

Edited by Elp

ED120 and C925 for me.

I've seen and used the ED150 and a C11 but they are too much bulk and hassle for me to enjoy regularly I reckon. Fine if they are someone elses and they can set them up / tear them down 😀

I'm not sure that the C925 would see much starlight to be honest but it's got more chance than a C11 with me !

I'd be out with the ED120 all the time ....... I'm just a lazy good for nothing space tourist though 😉

I'm sure you will get the best out of whichever you decide to go for 👍

• Like 1

A C9.25 has a handle on the rear. It's very light too. I could pick it up with one hand even with my slipped disc. I sold it because I couldn't move the EQ-6 it needed to go on.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, John said:

ED120 and C925 for me.

I've seen and used the ED150 and a C11 but they are too much bulk and hassle for me to enjoy regularly I reckon. Fine if they are someone elses and they can set them up / tear them down 😀

I'm not sure that the C925 would see much starlight to be honest but it's got more chance than a C11 with me !

I'd be out with the ED120 all the time ....... I'm just a lazy good for nothing space tourist though 😉

I'm sure you will get the best out of whichever you decide to go for 👍

Thanks John, 

I am mentally (and physically) tending towards the more practical combo. At the end of the day, one could keep going for larger and larger scopes, but ultimately we have to draw a line somewhere. 🤪

Anyway, my Ed80 will see things way beyond any dso objects seen visually in a 20" dobsonian, when used for long exposure imaging on the az-eq6. So, I'll always be able to see what's out there. 😀😀

Edited by Flame Nebula

6 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

A C9.25 has a handle on the rear. It's very light too. I could pick it up with one hand even with my slipped disc. I sold it because I couldn't move the EQ-6 it needed to go on.

Hi Mr Spock, 

Useful to know. The az-eq6 mount could be a challenge, but as long as my back is in one of its stable phases, I could bend down, get my shoulder under the mount-tripod Intersect, tilt and stand. I'm sure nothing bad will ever happen if I do that. 🤪🤔😬

7 minutes ago, Flame Nebula said:

Hi Mr Spock, 

Useful to know. The az-eq6 mount could be a challenge, but as long as my back is in one of its stable phases, I could bend down, get my shoulder under the mount-tripod Intersect, tilt and stand. I'm sure nothing bad will ever happen if I do that. 🤪🤔😬

🙄 I wouldn't attempt to lift it as one unit as it will be very top heavy. Tripod first then the mount head. The head is a heavy lump. The AZ-EQ6 is the limit for me with a takedown setup.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Flame Nebula said:

I could bend down, get my shoulder under the mount-tripod Intersect, tilt and stand. I'm sure nothing bad will ever happen if I do that

That's what I used to do. It was too much for me. I do the same with the EQ5 and can manage that. An EQ6 is surprisingly awkward to pick up with all that weight.

3 hours ago, bosun21 said:

🙄 I wouldn't attempt to lift it as one unit as it will be very top heavy. Tripod first then the mount head. The head is a heavy lump. The AZ-EQ6 is the limit for me with a takedown setup.

I'm thinking of supporting main weight with shoulder. By keeping the tripod and mount attached, it might paradoxically make it ergonomically easier, a bit like carrying a heavy sack on your shoulder. In this case it might require some padding between mount and shoulder to prevent it digging in. Of course, I am imagining this-in reality when I come to try this, I might think "blow that" and carry them separately 😀😀

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

That's what I used to do. It was too much for me. I do the same with the EQ5 and can manage that. An EQ6 is surprisingly awkward to pick up with all that weight.

Yes, one mistake and I might regret it. Perhaps a wheelbarrow would be wiser. I just watched some guy on YouTube (moose Henderson ) setting up a 12 foot hoist to lift a 70lb sct onto a wedge. He was 65 and 5'2" tall, but made it look easy. But, I don't think I need to resort to that. Not if you've said it's reasonable weight, and at the moment I am tending towards the C9.25 over the C11. 

Edited by Flame Nebula