NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How do I connect my camera to my telescope

Hi, I’m new to astrophotography and just bought my first telescope. I want to connect my camera to it (Nikon D5100) but idk how. My telescope is Celestron Travelscope 50

Welcome to the forum.

I will be brutally honest and inform you that trying to attach a camera to the telescope in question will be a futile task .

Neither the telescope , nor the mount it sits on are in anyway suited for astrophotography , and dare I say even suited for visual use judging by the reviews.

Sorry to burst your bubble but I had to speak the truth here.

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 1

Welcome

Your telescope you could start with observing objects like M44 or M45 with your 20mm eyepiece and also comet 12P/Pons Brooks. Your camera is going to be disproportionally heavy for your telescope tripod, you could try camera phone images hand held on some targets, could try the Moon. For knowing what's up where there's Stellarium and on a mobile there's sky map as examples.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I started my stargazing journey after my wife bought me a Travelscope 70 a couple of years ago and from the support of others on this forum, I made some upgrades (tripod, red dot finder and a variety of eyepieces), which had now led me to start thinking about my next scope.

Unfortunately, the Travelscope will limit what you can add to it and a camera will probably be too heavy, I’m not sure but you could try a mobile phone holder. I appreciate you want to try astrophotography but you will be limited.

However, don’t be too disheartened and use what you have to explore the night skies as you will be amazed at what you can see. My Travelscope 70 may not be the best or the most powerful but I still have ‘wow’ moments at what I am able to see. 

Edited by DPF