Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Custom adapter machining

John

I may have the need to have a custom adapter made in the not too distant future. It is going to be 1.25 inch fit on one side and an as yet unknown male thread on the other. Brass would be my preference but alloy would also be OK.

Can folks suggest any places that I might approach when my specs are more certain to undertake such work ?

Many thanks 🙂

4 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Sounds like you may have bought a fancy brass scope toDAY ? 🙂

Still "kicking the tyres" David 😉

• Thanks 1

I have a Myford screw cutting lathe and may be able to help. I may even have some brass stock- depends on the size you need. I think the biggest problem will be identifying the thread form.

ATB

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for these replies and suggestions folks 🙂

I have a measurement for the inside diameter of the drawtube (taken with a digital caliper) of 35.4mm. I'm wondering if the thread is one used by Tak and Vixen of 36.4mm but that might be a touch wide 🤔

Are thread diameters usually measured from the top edge of the thread or the valley between the threads ?

Thanks again 🙂

You should have mentioned this to me on Friday. 🙂

I have a screw cutting lathe. The expensive bit is choosing Brass. Ally will be cheaper but that is, of course, your decision. I only have Brass rod to 35mm dia so would not be large enough. I do have larger dia. Ally so no problem/cost there. I am also hoping to do some anodising sometime so you might be able to choose your colour ( from those that I have available)😀

See you next time at BAS or pm me.

Nigel

• Like 2

Just now, Astrobits said:

You should have mentioned this to me on Friday. 🙂

I have a screw cutting lathe. The expensive bit is choosing Brass. Ally will be cheaper but that is, of course, your decision. I only have Brass rod to 35mm dia so would not be large enough. I do have larger dia. Ally so no problem/cost there. I am also hoping to do some anodising sometime so you might be able to choose your colour ( from those that I have available)😀

See you next time at BAS or pm me.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Thanks very much for that and for the Calotherm cloths. It was good to see you again on Friday 🙂

Since Friday my other half has OK'd the project so I've been able to think it through in more detail.

I will keep in touch with you as things develop 🙂

John

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

What’s the project, John? Or is it under wraps?

It's still in development but it will have a traditional look to it 🙂

IMG_20240317_115724.jpg.0c293254f9cee5900c525fcd3d62c016.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 16/03/2024 at 21:27, Clive Elliott said:

Barry watts of beaconhill telescopes made a nice Ras thread to 1.25” eyepiece adapter for my fullerscope 4 inch refractor a couple of years ago

He also made one for me, but from aluminium. Nice to have ‘something old’ and be able to use it with ‘something new’.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1