Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Does anyone know where I can buy a new power connector for an AVX?

Hey guys!

Last night I went to plug in my AVX and the power plug ended up getting stuck and broke the internal connector. I tried searching awhile for simply a replacement, but came up empty handed. I was a bit relieved to find out it was a fairly simple plug and play part (not soldered), but regardless it doesn't come up during searches.

Can anyone help me out? Thank you!

20240310_190329.jpg

Flo do replacement power cables (the cable you plug in and lock with a collar) and the red connector is a JST (available pre wired on Ebay)

Looking at the picture I guess its the bulkhead socket you are looking for? If so the plug outer diameter (usually 5.5mm) and the internal connector pin diameter (2.1mm or 2.5 mm are the usual sizes). The cover hole size where the connector fits would help with the search.

Armed with this info a suitable replacement can be found on Ebay. Might have to give up on the ring lock though and just fit types that just plug in

There is a post on Cloudy Nights that claims to have found the bulkhead socket. Here is the link to the supplier

Switchcraft S761
https://www.digikey....C240-ND/128949

It is 5.5 mm o.d., 2.0 mm i.d.  

digikey is available in the USA

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

There is a post on Cloudy Nights that claims to have found the bulkhead socket. Here is the link to the supplier

Switchcraft S761
https://www.digikey....C240-ND/128949

It is 5.5 mm o.d., 2.0 mm i.d.  

digikey is available in the USA

Can you share the full link, it seems to have cut off the complete URL. 

Ugh what a pain though, you would think Celestron could simply sell that part. So you are saying worst case I can rig something up as long as it fits the male end of the power supply connector? And I assume solder on the little wires attached to the connector?  

The bulkhead if I know what you mean is what seemingly broke, but if I could've gotten the entire unit (with board connector) it would've been plug and play obviously. 

Thanks for the help!

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

That's the end that pushes into the hole correct? I need the receiving end that is attached to the mount. 

I found this, there are few styles listed, not sure of the difference as the images look the same, one says panel mount, the other through hole.

Do you think this is the correct part?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/switchcraft-inc/L722A/241928

This is the other: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/switchcraft-inc/PCL722A/1289408

Anyhow they both have three leads? There are only two wires going to the board.

Edited by Trippelforge

do you have a multimeter? If so you can check for continuity from the red wire (usually go's to the centre pin) and one of the others will go to the inside sleeve (black wire or ground).

If you are not into electronics do you have a neighbour or friend that can check it out for you?

On 11/03/2024 at 14:29, Trippelforge said:

Do you think this is the correct part?

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/switchcraft-inc/L722A/241928

This is the other: https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/switchcraft-inc/PCL722A/1289408

Anyhow they both have three leads? There are only two wires going to the board.

They are both in fact panel mount, the difference is that the PCL722A is to fit directly on a PCB (through hole) while the L722A is intended to connect to wires so the L722A would be the better choice in your case.

Don't worry about them having three pins on the connectors. It looks like your original photo just has the third pin cut off anyway. It's common to use these connectors in battery powered equipment with the option of external power. The battery -ve goes to the third pin and with no external power plug inserted it's connected to the black -ve power wire. When you plug the power plug in it breaks this connection so and the battery is disconnected, and the power supplied externally. As there is no internal battery in your situation you can ignore the third pin.

Alan

Edited by symmetal

21 hours ago, symmetal said:

They are both in fact panel mount, the difference is that the PCL722A is to fit directly on a PCB (through hole) while the L722A is intended to connect to wires so the L722A would be the better choice in your case.

Don't worry about them having three pins on the connectors. It looks like your original photo just has the third pin cut off anyway. It's common to use these connectors in battery powered equipment with the option of external power. The battery +ve goes to the third pin and with no external power plug inserted it's connected to the red +ve wire. When you plug the power plug in it breaks this connection and the battery is disconnected, and the power supplied externally. As there is no internal battery in your situation you can ignore the third pin.

Alan

Someone told me they think the actual plug is 2.10 not 2.00mm, the only thing Digikey has in 2.10mm is this: 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/switchcraft-inc/L722RA/1289482

It looks kind of odd though due to the angle of the pins. Is there a way for me to check the plug, for instance if I used a gage pin for the inside, and calipers for the outside does that give you exactly what it's suppose to be? That's probably a dumb question, but I want to make sure it's a perfect fit. 

Thanks for the help!

It's odd that Switchcraft do 2.0 and 2.1mm versions as they are so similar, and 2.1mm is a much more common size for DC connectors. However, if you click on the 'Datasheet' link on the 2.1mm connector you linked above it says the centre pin is 2.0mm just like the datasheet for the 2.0mm connector you posted earlier. The centre pin is split and spread slightly to provide a good contact when the plug is inserted so I think a 2.1mm or 2.0mm plug would connect fine in either situation. The L722A part in the connector name of the three versions you linked to has a 2.0mm centre pin, so one saying it's 2.1mm implies a 2.1mm plug works fine in a 2.0mm socket, due to the 2.0mm pin being spread apart.

In that case you may as well get the first one you linked to as that is intended for wire connections, while the other two are intended for PC board mounting. Clicking on the datasheet for the connector you choose shows which pins you want to connect your red and black wires to, red to centre pin and black to sleeve, leaving the sleeve shunt unconnected.

I think that the xL722x series of connectors are Switchcrafts version of the common 2.1mm connector, with a threaded sleeve, and their xL712x series are their version of the common 2.5mm connector, with a threaded sleeve. 🙂

Alan

Edited by symmetal
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, symmetal said:

It's odd that Switchcraft do 2.0 and 2.1mm versions as they are so similar, and 2.1mm is a much more common size for DC connectors. However, if you click on the 'Datasheet' link on the 2.1mm connector you linked above it says the centre pin is 2.0mm just like the datasheet for the 2.0mm connector you posted earlier. The centre pin is split and spread slightly to provide a good contact when the plug is inserted so I think a 2.1mm or 2.0mm plug would connect fine in either situation. The L722A part in the connector name of the three versions you linked to has a 2.0mm centre pin, so one saying it's 2.1mm implies a 2.1mm plug works fine in a 2.0mm socket, due to the 2.0mm pin being spread apart.

In that case you may as well get the first one you linked to as that is intended for wire connections, while the other two are intended for PC board mounting. Clicking on the datasheet for the connector you choose shows which pins you want to connect your red and black wires to, red to centre pin and black to sleeve, leaving the sleeve shunt unconnected.

I think that the xL722x series of connectors are Switchcrafts version of the common 2.1mm connector, with a threaded sleeve, and their xL712x series are their version of the common 2.5mm connector, with a threaded sleeve. 🙂

Alan

Thank you so much Alan, I really do appreciate your help! Things started to get a bit confusing for me (obviously).

I am going to order the first one, L722A as you suggest, excited to get the mount back up and running!

• Like 1

Hello mate

I'm steve 

And I could probably repair and repot

Or replace the broken parts

I'm a dab hand with a solving iron 

As I've chipped Playstation consoles and the lije for 40 years

So if you want to get in touch 

I'd be happy to advise etc

Kind regards steve 

Or contact me on

<private contact details removed>

On 13/03/2024 at 17:36, Stephen196360 said:

Hello mate

I'm steve 

And I could probably repair and repot

Or replace the broken parts

I'm a dab hand with a solving iron 

As I've chipped Playstation consoles and the lije for 40 years

So if you want to get in touch 

I'd be happy to advise etc

Kind regards steve 

Or contact me on

<private contact details removed>

Hi Steve,

Luckily I can solder, but thanks for the offer!