NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Space X rocket launch

• Grump Martian changed the title to Space X rocket launch

It’s my assumption that the crackling noise is made by the colder air slamming back in the space left by the flame, much like thunder does.

Bet there’s a better and truer reason though.

chaz

• Like 1

We went to Florida in 2011 and got tickets for a shuttle launch at the Kennedy space centre, but we were told that it could get delayed and it would not launch, and this was the chance we had to take, and there would be no refunds, and it was cancelled and did not go for two weeks after…it was a real shame as the me and the kids were really looking forward to it…but was a great day out all the same…So that was the closest I got to a rocket launch….

We saw a Space-X launch from Kennedy Space Centre back in 2017. We were positioned a couple of miles away from the pad and had a good view. The whole thing seemed quite calm and uneventful really. The rocket just moved smoothly upwards from the pad eventually disappearing into the cloud base. The sound took a surprising amount of time to reach us and that crackle (like tearing calico as it has been described !) was very noticeable. A few minutes later we heard a sonic boom as the bottom part of the rocket came back down to earth - it was the first time that the lower section had landed on terra firma I recall and from later footage that was successful.

I wish I had seen a shuttle go up but maybe I'll get a chance to see one of the heavy lifters go up one day.

Edited by John
  • Like 1