Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Who else has seen this flashing star

Over the last few days, but not consistently, My wife and I have seen what looks like a star but it flashes for only a quick moment.  Last week it was brighter than it is was last night, but the flashing was more frequent. it is in the same part of the sky each time. If you were to draw a line from Procyon to Sirius, it appears just to the right of that line about 40% the distance from Procyon, 60% to Sirius. 

• Like 1

The majority of stars don't flash generally, unless if they're specific special state stars, the twinkling you see is due to atmospheric conditions. Have you crossed referenced the position with a stellarium?

Edited by Elp

I haven't cross referenced. I'm a newbe here but have been a very novice gazer for some time. I know its not a satellite, as it's from a static part of the sky.  I don't think its a pulsar as I have read a pulsar has a more consistent flash. This is more random

1 hour ago, GenoRokTok said:

it appears just to the right of that line about 40% the distance from Procyon, 60% to Sirius. 

Delta Monoceros is about there but it shouldn't be flashing. 

On 10/03/2024 at 08:03, dweller25 said:

I first thought of a rotating satellite, but each time we saw it, on two different evenings, it was coming from the same spot in the sky. I don't think a satellite or string of satellites would do that.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GenoRokTok said:

I don't think a satellite or string of satellites would do that.

I, my father and my mother also saw something like it on Sunday. But it was near the star Aldebaran. Really like a star was switched on and off in a flash.

Even earlier I saw one and also it was near Aldebaran. 

Edited by Nikolai De Silva
  • Like 1

On 12/03/2024 at 07:41, Nikolai De Silva said:

This is how we saw it. @900SL I made a small video (location isn't the same).

@GenoRokTok, was it like this?

Yes it was! but not as bright. The first night we saw it flash about 5 times in 20 the 20 minutes we were watching.  A couple of nights later we saw it flash at least a dozen times in about the same time frame but it wasn't as bright as the first sighting.

Last night was our first clear night since we saw it. I was prepared to video but we saw nothing in 40 minuets of looking.

• Like 1