Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC 2403

NGC 2403 with 214 x 120s to a total of just a bit over 7 hours:

r_NGC-2403-2night_stacked-crop-dbe-bxt-scopy1.thumb.jpg.c071a688bfa032c7334378d9a1854d49.jpg

Taken this week under decent seeing on 6.3 and 7.3 from an SQM 21 ish location with my usual kit: 8'' newtonian, TeleVue Paracorr, RisingCam IMX571 OSC camera. Processed in PI and Photoshop.

Target for this galaxy was 20 hours, but it looks pretty good already. Might still put in the extra hours to improve the faint outer regions if weather allows for this year, but we will see as only 6 weeks remain until summer.

Feedback welcome

-Oskari

Edited by ONIKKINEN
  • Like 20

43 minutes ago, CCD-Freak said:

Great image....I have NGC2403 on my target list for this year's Galaxy Season.  I hope I can close to this image. (^8

Thanks and good luck with your image! I had been planning to image this since last year, but decided to wait until a night of good seeing arrived, and i think it was worth the wait. Its not a very large galaxy so every little bit helps.

• Like 1

Very nice rendition. The good seeing certainly helped - very crisp.

This was one of the first galaxies I ever imaged back in the days of my 600D. Looking at my version makes me realise I need to do it again!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

NGC 2403 with 214 x 120s to a total of just a bit over 7 hours

Fantastic result Oskari - nice background, strong colour, detailed and clean transitions from background and faint arms.  I like the contrasting colour of the core too.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, 900SL said:

Great image Oskari.

Thank you! Was it clear over your place this week? Porkkalanniemi had 2 back to back fully clear nights with not an arc second of cloud in the sky, cant say i remember that happening in the past few years so very rare.

7 hours ago, Clarkey said:

Very nice rendition. The good seeing certainly helped - very crisp.

This was one of the first galaxies I ever imaged back in the days of my 600D. Looking at my version makes me realise I need to do it again!

6 hours ago, geeklee said:

Fantastic result Oskari - nice background, strong colour, detailed and clean transitions from background and faint arms.  I like the contrasting colour of the core too.

Thanks both, I actually had some trouble dialing in the "crispy" and faint parts of the image to where they felt in balance. It feels like an unusual galaxy to process, something about it is just strange. The core is quite bright but then it gets very faint quickly, but those faint arms still have speckles of sharp nebulosity, so found this quite weird to process.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Thank you! Was it clear ov,  er your place this week? Porkkalanniemi had 2 back to back fully clear nights with not an arc second of cloud in the sky, cant say i remember that happening in the past few years so very rare.

Yes, amazing! I got a few hours on Jellyfish and a couple hours on monkeyhead last night. I need longer scope for galaxies though. 

1 minute ago, 900SL said:

Yes, amazing! I got a few hours on Jellyfish and a couple hours on monkeyhead last night. I need longer scope for galaxies though. 

Lets hope these weren't the last good nights of the season, sure was good to actually do some imaging. Look forward to seeing your shots whenever ready!

16 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Really nice image Oskari, great colour and detail in there. Reminds me a bit of M33.

Thanks, they are very similar looking galaxies. This one is like a more difficult and time consuming version of M33 it seems.

4 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Lets hope these weren't the last good nights of the season, sure was good to actually do some imaging. Look forward to seeing your shots whenever ready!

Im pretty new to mono processing but here's a bash :) JF3.thumb.jpg.0359ae285767cde1a6c30272d76c7764.jpg

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Im pretty new to mono processing but here's a bash :) JF3.thumb.jpg.0359ae285767cde1a6c30272d76c7764.jpg

Pretty good sharpness and SNR, how much data is that? Looks quite nice already.

One thing you could do if the magenta stars bother you is an inverted SCNR. I've used that for OSC processing a few times when i made some mistake that turned things too magenta. To do that you first invert the image, after which magenta will turn green, then you run SCNR green and invert back. Then you will find that the magenta is gone, but as a caveat if you had actual magenta you wanted to keep as that is also gone, so a compromise.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Pretty good sharpness and SNR, how much data is that? Looks quite nice already.

One thing you could do if the magenta stars bother you is an inverted SCNR. I've used that for OSC processing a few times when i made some mistake that turned things too magenta. To do that you first invert the image, after which magenta will turn green, then you run SCNR green and invert back. Then you will find that the magenta is gone, but as a caveat if you had actual magenta you wanted to keep as that is also gone, so a compromise.

Thanks O. around 25 x 360s in S, H and O, so around 2 to 2.5 hrs each channel. Needs more Oiii.

No OSC stars yet, I'm finding my way in the dark still :)  but I can now register the separate stacks, do starnet 2 separation in Siril, match the stacks, stretch and do RGB or Pixel math recombination. Getting the stars to match the starless on re-composition  is tricky!