SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Alcohol And Astro Don't Mix 😂.

bosun21

My problem is when I have a drink, or two, I just can't get out to the observatory!

I've started a new type of astronomy. 

You can't believe what you can see in a good dream!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, PeterStudz said:

Although the title is ‘WHISKEY AND STARGAZING”. So I presume that gin, brandy, cider etc are OK. And I drink whisky not whiskey 😀

Yes I agree. I think Whiskey is the American spelling. I'm not sure about the Irish spelling although I think they also spell it that way.

9 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

Yes I agree. I think Whiskey is the American spelling. I'm not sure about the Irish spelling although I think they also spell it that way.

~

Canadians utilize the UK rendering:

crown-Copy(2)-Copy.JPG.f805b413d862d98cea5dc6dd3b5404bf.JPG

Which is OK in this house.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bosun21 said:

Sit down and let me tell ye the tail of Ushtey Bea, whisky and whiskey

Distillation was brought to the UK and Ireland by monks. 
Ireland and Scotland developed their own processes at roughly the same time. Whisky is Scottish, Whiskey is Irish.
Immigrants to the US took their stills with them, any surplus corn / wheat etc was turned into whiskey - which was much easier to transport across the US than the thing it was made from and more valuable. Initially whiskey was not taxed in the US. And then it was.
Japanese whisky came about as a result of scottish engineers travelling to Japan and teaching them how to make it whisky. And pretty nice it is.

Generally I prefer Irish whiskey, then Rye Whisky, then heavily peated scottish whisky, then bourbon etc etc 

Whisky is very specific, whiskey is not, bourbon is very specific, rye whiskey is not.

Rum tastes like rum because of the US involvement in the slave trade. Plantation owners in the Caribbean liked to drink their own US product - which led to a surplus of used bourbon barrels - which Rum was then aged in or shipped to the US in - which is why these days a significant proportion of rum is still aged in bourbon barrels.

Here endeth the lesson - no test just a 50 word essay entitled "the whiskey/whisky/bourbon/rye that I drank tonight was..."

Edited by Mr_Cat
to many e's
  • Like 5

39 minutes ago, PeterStudz said:

That’s a good summary! Although I’m a fan of Scottish whisky. Especially from Islay.

IMG_5203.jpeg

IMG_5204.jpeg

IMG_5205.jpeg

I tried the tour of the distilleries on Islay in which you have a dram at each of them. Needless to say I never made it to them all.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I tried the tour of the distilleries on Islay in which you have a dram at each of them. Needless to say I never made it to them all.

I haven’t done that. But the above involved plenty of tasting. Mind, it was free as it was part of “work”, so that encouraged the “tasting”.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I love Glenmorangie 18 year old although it's very expensive followed by Glenmorangie itself.

Very nice! I have a soft spot for Laphroaig. Not so much the taste, although I do like it, but the fact that my late  mother gave me a bottle as a Christmas present from when I started drinking until she passed away. So it has memories! 

• Like 2

Currently working my through a bottle of Glen Moray. Smokey and smooth. Single malt, £20 in Morrisons at the moment. Can't  complain about those prices!

I got two kinds of whisky. The kind you drink and the kind you look at. I also inherited a large collection from my dad. Some I’ve drunk, some I’m saving. One in particular will be opened on a special day. A bottle of  Lagavulin 1984 distillers edition. 

IMG_0898.jpeg

• Like 3