Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro spots in Somerset?

a6400

Hi,

I’m looking for a quiet place away from street lamps in Somerset but it seems like a very hard task.

Does anyone know of any spots not too far from Weston-super-Mare?

Thanks

We're near Brent Knoll and it's dark enough there, but parking is a bit thin on the ground. Have you looked at the top of Cheddar Gorge? 

I observe mostly from  my back garden in Portishead.

I've heard that the National Trust car park at Sand Point is quite dark. There are 2 of those, one at Middle Hope and one below Sand Point itself.

Bristol AS observatory is at Failand but it's no darker than I have it at home.

The top of the Mendip Hills would be good, I agree.

There is a car park on Bleadon Hill, beyond the golf course which has good views in most directions and is quite high up. That might be worth a visit one evening.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

I've heard that the National Trust car park at Sand Point is quite dark.

Went there yesterday 10pm, some cars and people, some guy told me not to park there etc. 😁

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, M40 said:

We're near Brent Knoll and it's dark enough there, but parking is a bit thin on the ground. Have you looked at the top of Cheddar Gorge? 

I want to have my equipment max few meters away from the car, not sure it's possible there?

1 hour ago, a6400 said:

I want to have my equipment max few meters away from the car, not sure it's possible there?

Now there's the challenge. Have a drive through Lympsham, I know there is parking by a sports club there and hopefully you can get in there when it's shut. 

• Like 1

A couple of times, when we wanted to try and catch up with some astronomy after visiting MrsG's mum in WsM General Hospital, we'd drive out to a layby on Webbington Road below Crook Peak - it's not perfect, but it has a good view to the South, and the road it's on isn't too busy. 

The hills to the north, block out a fair amount of light from the nearby towns.  

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.2914226,-2.8726762,3a,75y,145.94h,82.58t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1srV41ZsdzUioJWzWj0TgW3g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

• Like 1

15 hours ago, M40 said:

A similar spot is the Axbridge picnic area. Very high with excellent views to the south, no lights.

Seems like the trees might be an issue there?

19 minutes ago, a6400 said:

Seems like the trees might be an issue there?

May be worth a visit to have a look. This is a car park associated with the strawberry line, it would be worth seeing if they have other car parks that offer better all round views. All the best.