Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Getting the Tak in amongst some galaxies

Stu

I had another good session last night. The transparency wasn’t as good as previous nights, but it was clear so was worth heading out.

I caught Jupiter early on but didn’t spend too much time on it. The seeing in that direction didn’t seem brilliant and there wasn’t much on show other than a nice big festoon.

The inevitable M42 next. I viewed it both filtered with a Lumicon UHC and unfiltered, both nice views. More contrast and internal detail with the filter but stars not as nice. I haven’t used a filter for a while so it made a pleasant change.

Moving onto some doubles and triples, Rigel first was ok though fairly ropey seeing as it was getting lower by then. Alnitak was much better, clean split though I can’t recall which eyepiece I used 🤪. Tegmine was beautiful again, clean split in a range of eyepieces, all the way down to 2.4 which is x433! I love seeing the tiny airy disks and this time the first diffraction ring was a little clearer. Beta Mon added a second triple. Much easier this one but still nice, beautiful airy disks.

32 Orionis and 52 Orionis completed my doubles for the night. Both clean splits with separation, 52 being the harder of the two, good to split a 1.0” double though.

I ran round some of the same galaxies and clusters as before, with M51 in particular looking better than last night. I spent some time on this and whilst it wasn’t obvious, it seemed clear to me which side the bridge was on and when I checked just now I was correct so that was pleasing.

M81/82 weren’t as good as the previous for some reason, just lacking contrast although I was intermittently getting fogged up eyepieces by this stage so that is a possibility. M101 was a firm no, nothing there that I could see.

I tried some clusters in M36 and M37, but around this something went awry with the scope and mount which pushed it off track. I think the scope slid back in the clamp, pushing the balance right off so I had to tighten the clamp, reset back to south and level quickly and start again, all quite easy.

Then onto M67 which is becoming a bit of a favourite, with a bit of power in the Docter it really comes to life.

I know it’s an oldie, but I then spent a long time on the Double Cluster using the 31mm Nagler. This framed it perfectly, I was seated and with the scope tracking perfectly I could just take it all in through that huge porthole view. The stars were pinpoint across the field (we often say that but they really were!), and my favourite thing is picking out the tiny threshold stars in the middle of the cluster, just a really wonderful view. It did make me wonder whether I should try a 21mm Ethos again though 🤪🤪😬

The Leo triplet were only a doublet last night, NGC3628 was elusive, probably due to the poorer transparency.

Wanting to try a glob in this scope, M3 was the only one I could see available and it was still a bit low down. At lower power it didn’t resolve at all, but upping the mag gave me a sparkling ball with averted vision. Globs are better with more aperture but this was a decent view still.

I then went on a trawl around Markarian’s Chain to see what was possible from here and in this scope. I need to get the Dob on them really, but I caught M84/86 and the fainter NGC4388 arranged in a triangle. Pleased with 4388 as it was quite faint and diffuse. NGC4435/4438 were also just visible though very tough.

I popped over to M87/M89 which were there, but unremarkable, then finally moved on to the Sunflower and Whale. I could see the different shapes, the Sunflower being rounder with an extensive halo and the Whale was a longer edge on galaxy with offset central bulge making it look a little whale-like.

I finished on a fail which was the Needle galaxy so wanted a couple of successes instead so popped onto Izar which was lovely as ever and finally my first ever astro target Mizar which I always enjoy.

It was getting chilly by the end, soaking scope and frost forming. Still didn’t stop me being in shorts and crocs though, not even any socks this time 🤣🤣🤪. Packing away was about six trips into the garden room (conservatory type thingy) which is a bit of a faff, but separating the mount and tripod does make it much more manageable. 

Overall, it’s just nice to be out seeing stuff again! I just need to carry on expanding the objects I observe as I tend to get stuck on my old favourites.

IMG_6363.jpeg

• Like 17

33 minutes ago, The60mmKid said:

Why don't you dress more warmly, Stu? I'm noticing a pattern emerging with the shorts and Crocs. We don't want to lose any mods.

Tee hee, I have what you might say is ‘adequate insulation’ so don’t tend to feel the cold so much. But, you are right, I should dress more sensibly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice one Stu and thanks: I’ve stolen some targets from you for my Spring List. My Orion List, now complete, is already more or less past it, not having been used 🙄 such has been the weather. Whale and Needle will be new to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

Why don't you dress more warmly, Stu? I'm noticing a pattern emerging with the shorts and Crocs. We don't want to lose any mods.

Sensible attire in my view: much easier to change shorts quickly when the Tak slips in its cradle!

• Haha 6

53 minutes ago, Captain Scarlet said:

Nice one Stu and thanks: I’ve stolen some targets from you for my Spring List. My Orion List, now complete, is already more or less past it, not having been used 🙄 such has been the weather. Whale and Needle will be new to me.

Some nice ones around there Magnus. The Needle and Silver Needle can be quite spectacular with a bit of aperture and your skies. Blackeye and Cocoon also in that kinda of area. Suspect you’ve seen Markarian’s Chain but if not they are well worth a look if you fancy getting ten galaxies in the field of view in one go 👍

• Thanks 1

Stu, very nice report. 

I do intend to do some galaxy hunting in the next few sessions. I will added theses to my list. Last night was a curious mix of conditions. Seeing varied from poor to very good. I managed spot the AB pair of Zeta Cnc in the 8" scope. 

The dew was very heavy to begin with but improved quite quickly. I only stopped observing as I was due to be up at 5am....

Cheers

Ian