Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New kit ordered!

Heya folks, apologies if this is the incorrect category to post this topic under - I had a look through, and couldn't see anywhere more appropriate!

I've just placed an order for a Skywatcher AZ GTi, an extension tube and a converting puck to utilise my M10 threaded existing tripod (currently carrying an AZ4 head). As always FLO have been exceptional in their customer service - on this occasion particularly Ian and Grant.

This is my inaugural foray into using a mount with electronic assistance - and I'm very excited! Just wanted to share with likeminded people, and with the promise that I shall update the thread in due course with some pictures and perspectives. Big thanks to @fwm891 Francis, who has helped get me out of my funk of 'paralysis by analysis' with the astro gear, and spurred me on to make a purchase!

Clear skies,

Ryan

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Well, good as gold from FLO as usual - about 3pm the kit ordered Monday evening was in my hands!

Really impressed with the quality of all the kit that arrived. The M10 to 3/8" puck fitted with no modifications required to the pin on my mount, which was great! The small pier extension has a satisfying heft to it, and the diminutive little AZ GTi is a lovely thing!

Outrageously, I even managed to see a couple of hours of clear sky tonight! Im very much at the start of the learning curve (it took me a moment to realise why, when on the two star alignment, having located Jupiter and slewing to my second automatically, the mount seemed adamant that Duhbe was a subterranean object!). Once I had the telescope on the mount pointing the right way however... how embarrassing!

My back garden isn't ideally situated North Easterly facing, and on an estate so lots of rooftops, lights and fences about! However, I managed to have a look at Jupiter, Pleadies, M31 and my first time ever being convinced I'd located Uranus, which was nice! Was really impressed how well centered Jupiter remained at 150x magnification, with what I'm sure was a less than stellar initial set up of the mount from me.

Lots of reading to come to learn more about getting the best out of it - looking forward to learning more. First bit of research is a rather off 'knocking' noise whilst it was tracking on point and go - a quick check of threads shows there's lots of discussion on it, so I'm sure it will be user error (clutch tightness most likely, or the fact its on AA batteries currently).

Next month's acquisitions will be a TalentCell 12v LiFePO4 portable power pack, and a red dot finder - to reduce the weight a little, and also to make my life easier on the star alignment - I was at the edge of my capability with the 9x50 finderscope tonight in truth.

Thrilled with the kit and the quick hour I managed at the eyepiece after set up - can't wait to get more familiar with the kit in the coming weeks, and the summer dark site camping with the new capability in the coming months!

Cheers,

Ryan 

Edited by Oortraged
Typo