Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Your favorite eyepieces with slow telescopes

Many years ago, when I had F/10 scopes, I indulged my taste for ultra-wide fields of view with these Japanese made Widescan III eyepieces. I really enjoyed them at F/10 but the outer field became distorted at F/8 and they were not very nice at all when I tried them in my newly aquired Vixen ED102SS F/6.5 - astigmatism galore !!!

The design is still around through chinese clones but I believe their behaviour is just as unruly in faster scopes than F/10 🙄

VENDO: 30mm 84° 2" widescan type III uwa japan kokusai kohki | Astrosell

Around that time I also invested quite a lot in the 13.8mm, 18mm and 24.5mm Meade 4000 SWA eyepieces, again Japanese made back then. These proved nice at F/10 (doesn't almost everything ?) but the edge sharpness fell apart once you got to F/8 and faster. Given their cost and that they were being touted as Panoptic rivals, I was pretty disappointed in them as my scopes got faster.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

I've found the SVBONY 68° Ultra Wide Angle 20mm works exceptionally well in my barlowed binoviewer at f/18.  They're light, compact, have enough eye relief for eyeglass wearers, have a decently wide field of view, and are inexpensive.  See my full take on them in this mode below:

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Moonlit Night said:

I used to enjoy a 25 mm Tal plossl with my 100 R

Cracking eyepiece, those TAL 25mm's 👍

Best stock eyepiece ever supplied with a scope I shouldn't wonder.

• Like 3

I used to have a Zeiss 25mm Huygens, which I used to split the Double Double in my f/16+ Skylight. It only happened the once, in excellent seeing, transparency and close to the zenith. The view was so unbelievably sharp. Fantastic eyepiece - in that telescope.

• Like 2

Ah the Tal 25mm Plossl, If ever you get the chance to own a good example just buy it! I have had an original pair since 1998 and used them extensively as my main goto eyepiece  in every telescope I have owned since then . Beautiful piece of optical glass. Stunning as a binoviewer pair.

• Like 4