Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help with flats

Hi just need some advice on taking flats ,I have W O 81 GT, and zwo 533 colour camera ,if anyone has same or similar set up how do you aquire your flats.Seems more involved than with DSLR . Hope someone can help🤔

Do you have an LED flat panel or tracing panel (many on Amazon)?

Alternatives are use a computer or tablet screen set to display a white image only but with any option you'll have to diffuse the light so they don't cast any pattern, multiple sheets of paper, white t shirt will do. I use layers of perspex/acrylic of different monochromatic colours sandwiched between the OTA and the led panel dimmed to its lowest setting.

7 minutes ago, Elp said:

Are you using a computer controller with your setup for the image acquisition?

Thinking about getting a led flat panel, my set-up is run through asiar mini ,it just seems more complicated with a dedicated CMOS camera I'm use to a dslr

With an air it's easy, within the autorun section, you set to record flats, how many and set the exposure to auto and it will auto calculate the correct duration. Much easier than doing it manually.

22 minutes ago, Elp said:

With an air it's easy, within the autorun section, you set to record flats, how many and set the exposure to auto and it will auto calculate the correct duration. Much easier than doing it manually.

👍👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi Albir

For what it's worth I use the white t-shirt method over the objective. I've used NINA and APT with their Flat Wizard in the past with good results in the range of 0.001s - 1s exposure.

:)

I've only just started taking flats and dark flats (novice mistake) and I'm using a panel bought from the same place I buy my dew heaters. It's made quite a difference, no weird blobs on images caused by little bits of stuff in the imaging train!

I've cobbled it together with a spare mobile phone charger using 3M Command picture hanging strips and a short usb cable, makes it very easy to use.

5 Inch LED Light Panel (dewcontrol.com)

PXL_20240411_073613021_DxO.jpg

PXL_20240411_073636699_DxO.jpg