SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sky at Night.

Grump Martian

I know that posts about BBC's Sky at Night come regularly on SGL. So they should. There are not many programmes dedicated to our interest.

I always enjoyed the regular monthly updates about the nightsky and what to see and what's coming up. 

I now understand that the last series ended in November 2023. The next series is returning in the Spring. May I ask why the long gap. Is it for financial reasons? If so, why can't it go back to the low brow way of format. Not always the costly trips abroard. And then hopefully it can get back to the regular and traditional monthly programmes.

• Like 5

The programme title is somewhat misleading.
It suggests 'these are things to see in the coming month'.
Rather than the big budget global tour.

Very affordable technology could be used to improve on the early presentations where SPM sat at a desk with cardboard cut out planets and the like.
No need for travel. Though it has its place to show us the new large telescopes, etc.

Given that very few people around today saw the first (decade or more) programmes, much content could be repeated for the 'newcomers' who have only got interested in the last half century.
I missed many early years of the programme due to it being way past my bedtime and domestic video recorders had yet to be invented.

Then again. Why not just put more of the old programmes on iplayer.

• Like 3

Whilst I value the Sky at Night program and the excellent presenters, for me it’s nowhere as good as when Patrick Moore was around.

Call me a dinosaur if you wish I have a fine armour of protective scales😁

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Only watched a couple of new episodes but they just feel like generic pop science.  The old ones felt like they'd throw in some science as a bit of seasoning around the observing.

I was sad last week the Paul Money isn't doing the Star Diary podcast anymore (which I really enjoy), but was delighted this week to find Mary McIntyre has joined the team.  She's really enthusiastic and really captures the enthusiasm.  Started watching her YouTube after she did a sketching episode of actual astronomy podcast and really helped me get started with sketching.

I think the likes of Mary and Mark Radice on YouTube are two of the closest to capturing the aim of old school sky at night on telly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I can remember badgering my father for hours to allow me to stay up and watch SPM on the Sky at Night. He generally relented and allowed me to watch. I had no idea what I was listening to I only knew it was about space and that captivated me. I was 7-8 years old and I'm 64 in a few months. Memories indeed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

Then again. Why not just put more of the old programmes on iplayer.

Probably because many of them don't exist any more.  The BBC had a policy of re-using or recyling their recording medium as it was very expensive.  This is why the BBC are always putting out appeals for home-recorded copies of old programmes, be it on 8mm tape or even audio recordings.

The most egregious example of lost broadcast is the Apollo 11 Moon landing.  The version we see now is actually an recording of a screen from an Australian reception, so it's much lower quality than that which would have originally been broadcast.  Some better footage of parts of the Apollo 11 mission have subsequently been found - but not the critical first step on the Moon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11_missing_tapes

• Like 1

In answer to the original question, the programme frequently takes a winter break- I think it has for the last couple of years anyway.

This might be the time when the team dissapears off to locations in the Southern Hemisphere to do some filming?

I do agree with going back to the basics a bit more though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveS said:

I heard it said that the team decamp to Aus for a Stargazing Live that we can't see because it's for ABC television.

If that's true,then get another team then.

Did I really say that.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't know TBH, and it may just be a rumer. I think I read it in a thread here ut it was quite a while ago and may be just recycled rumer / conspiracy.

But if it's true then it's a slap in the face for UK amateur astronomers.

Like many on here, I have fond memories of S@N with SPM; I’m even old enough to remember a few of the black and white ones.

I do wonder how much of the regard for it is pure nostalgia though. Surely S@N is suffering from the same problem as many scheduled broadcast programs these days - we now have so many other channels open to us to get our astronomy ‘fix’.  Look how many enthusiasts have their own channels on YouTube now, in addition to actual documentaries.

It could be argued that traditional sheduled programming is a dying medium these days, and I won’t get into the debate over the TV licence fee!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tomjo59 said:

Like many on here, I have fond memories of S@N with SPM; I’m even old enough to remember a few of the black and white ones.

I do wonder how much of the regard for it is pure nostalgia though. Surely S@N is suffering from the same problem as many scheduled broadcast programs these days - we now have so many other channels open to us to get our astronomy ‘fix’.  Look how many enthusiasts have their own channels on YouTube now, in addition to actual documentaries.

It could be argued that traditional sheduled programming is a dying medium these days, and I won’t get into the debate over the TV licence fee!!

I don't think it is nostalgia.  I didn't start watching the old ones till last year (some are up on youtube) and found some of them fascinating.  I think you are right though about scheduled programming.   I think networks are stuggling to find the correct audience to try and maximise the number of viewers.  I think S@N is suffering for it because by trying to appeal to as broad an audience as possible they've made it into something that doesn't really satisfy anyone.  If they made it more old school (More observing/imaging than pop science) I'm pretty sure it would reach a fairly consistent, broad audience globally through streaming.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Tomjo59 said:

If there is one thing that is likely to make me apoplectic with rage I will have calmed down but, one thing that does tweak the apoplexy button is the written or uttered phrase “We have an app for that “. You Tube and it’s ilk have their place but I prefer my documentaries on TV.

On 28/02/2024 at 08:57, Tomjo59 said:

I do wonder how much of the regard for it is pure nostalgia though.

I think that depends on the individual. Yes nice to watch the old ones. Interesting to see (incorrect) thoughts on what the lunar surface was like pre-apollo, and more.
But just as fascinating to see first far side of moon images, first Mars close up images, etc.
I remember when first pictures came in of Saturns moon Japetus. Though that may have been on the news and later discussed on S@N.
Yes a dark side and a light side - but no sign of a 'Clarke' obelisk😁

The current format requires lots of planning, large film crews, travel to distant locations, etc.
How do you produce a programme that can report on recent events?

If the show had a section based around someone checking up on recent events, jumping on a train to the studio and sitting in front of a camera with minimal props....
Oops - been there and done that. Thank you SPM for your many short notice reports.

How can the current production method provide an informed presentation about (for example) the recent toppling moon landers?

• Like 1

I would have watched SPM talk about watching paint dry, I adored him and his presentation style , which is why I have seen just a couple of episodes of The Sky at Night  since he left us.  Nothing wrong with the current format or the presenters but I choose to find anything that I wish to know  by others means now. It ceased to draw my interest in 2012.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1