Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Polaris moves in polar scope depending on

3 hours ago, Elp said:

No, but it does alter the depth of field, for AP this doesn't matter, so if you're focused it shouldn't change. But common sense tells you to confirm your focus last after everything else as it's one of the most critical things you don't want to alter once it's set.

Ty for this, but I'm struggling to focus my crap vintage glass. 

Cloud has been a pain but 5 sec high iso for 3ppa in nana look promising if rather crimson. 

If I can I'll get some test shots. I'm not looking for perfection with this, just roundish stars.

so i've attached a snapshot i managed after a rough pa and before rain hit.

i think its 4 seconds iso6400 f5.6 . its not good, but its the closest i've managed to being 'in focus' i think. 

if there's some clear tonight will get some longer tests with it and maybe some other lenses too.

sharpish 200mm f56 4 seconds iso 6400.png

• Like 1

Just on my mobile view that looks better and being a smidge off focus you may find gives better result as it'll likely have less chromatic aberration which can show in the red on some older lenses

• Like 1

1 hour ago, happy-kat said:

Just on my mobile view that looks better and being a smidge off focus you may find gives better result as it'll likely have less chromatic aberration which can show in the red on some older lenses

there is some red in the stars :)  but if i have a choice between bird shaped stars or a fair bit of chromatic aberration - i can at least fix the ca in post. or reduce it. not so much the star shapes :(

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Anyone who has a goto mount, all I can say is get Nina and use it's 3 point polar alignment.

All I do now is throw my tripod on the ground, vaguely pointing north and use Nina. I don't even take the caps off my polar scope.

If I can do it after like an hour of practice, anyone can :)

The bolt for alt adjustment has a bit of a dead zone, but I can get it under 10 atc seconds reliably in like 10 mins.

Edited by TiffsAndAstro