Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi , I’ve decided to potentially take the plunge with a Seestar S50 but I’ve been reading some mixed reviews of their longevity in terms of enjoyment and uses - what’s everyone’s view of these   

4 hours ago, Beardy30 said:

Hi , I’ve decided to potentially take the plunge with a Seestar S50 but I’ve been reading some mixed reviews of their longevity in terms of enjoyment and uses - what’s everyone’s view of these   

That’s a really interesting question. I have seen a few for sale secondhand already. I expect others will end up forgotten in cupboards. 

• Like 1

I was about to order one, but decided to hold off.  The pix posted here and on other forums are impressive for the size / cost, but I have a niggling feeling that ZWO will come out with an improved, second generation system in a year or so.  I spent decades in software engineering and the first release of anything was always driven by marketing concerns / timing over quality.  

I'm not an imager, but I was also wondering if the novelty was going to wear off.  I don't want to get bogged down with post-processing (at least not yet), and the best S* pix I've seen are, of course, those which have been post-processed.

I'm sure it would potentially be an nice adjunct to whatever kit one has already, but I personally wouldn't put all my eggs into the S* basket just yet.

YMMV.

As with any presentable astro image, even space agency ones, they've all been post processed, dont think there's a way around it unless you get AI processing involved which will eventually happen, then it'll cease to be interesting, might as well search images on the internet at that point. Even when doing AP, it's around 20-30pc effort data acquisition, 70-80pc post processing.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

I imagine there will be software update will will improve performance but looking at feedback in the forum most people seem to love this little telescope for what it can do 

ZWO are already working on a Mk 2 version. As a manufacturer they have to keep writing on new business to survive. Once the market is saturated the next step is to fulfil the desires for an upgrade to resolve the limitations the current product has. I know of one local S50 owner that is already looking at a Varonis to get a better sensor etc.

Sales of the S50 will level off so they need something to move forward.

..it’s like the PlayStation or x box sales there will always be a better version in the future so I’d say just enjoy what’s available as there will never be a “perfect” moment  to just enjoy it 

I had pre-ordered an S50 and received it close to the end of 2023.  So far, I've enjoyed it a great deal!  I'm still relatively new to astronomy (2-3 years into it), and am interested mainly in visual.  With the chilly winter weather in upstate NY, the S50 has allowed me to enjoy the night sky from the comfort of my recliner.

Since first using the S50, it's gone through several automatic firmware updates, with noticeable improvement after each update.  I'm quite happy with the images that I've been able to get from this little scope, even without any post-processing. 

My primary aim for this scope is as an outreach tool at public star parties and as a secondary instrument when doing visual observing, allowing me to create a visual record of the objects I'm trying to observe with my main scope.  Yes, I'm sure the version 2.0 scope will be better, but I'm happy to have whet my appetite with this one!

Clear, dark skies to all,

Dave

• Like 1

To my mind, the next logical step will be a new model with a wider aperture, meaning improved resolution and more light per capture, resulting in shorter exposures with less noise and the ability to magnify a bit more. I was surprised that the Seestar was made with such small optics in the first place - I imagine the plan has always been to step it up to something bigger.