NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

The Witch Head and NGC 1788

gorann

These are some iconic but quite faint nebulae in Orion. The data caught with the IDAS NBZ filter (Ha+Oiii) reveals a sea of Ha emission in this area. I caught the big picture with my Samyang 135 the other night and added 50% data to NGC1788 from the RASA caught the same night. I then added Canon 300mm f/4 data as luminance to the Witch Head collected when I was down on Lizard Island way out on the Great Barrier Reef in 2019 - a place where the sky is as dark as it can get. I like it when I realize that I can dig into my hard drives and mix data.

All photons collected with CMOS OSC. Totally about 15 hours processed with PI and PS and the XTerminator tools-

Cheers, Göran

20240205 NGC1788 SY135 PS19smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 17

Great image witch head really stands out,might be just me seeing things but below witch head I see a profile with a long nose and a open mouth.But we seemed to be programmed to make a face out of shapes . Really like the amount of nebulosity you have captured 👍👍

8 hours ago, Albir phil said:

Great image witch head really stands out,might be just me seeing things but below witch head I see a profile with a long nose and a open mouth.But we seemed to be programmed to make a face out of shapes . Really like the amount of nebulosity you have captured 👍👍

Thanks a lot, and yes I see what you mean. Clearly our brains are wired to see familiar things in unfamiliar environments.

33 minutes ago, tomato said:

That's a different take on the Witch Head Nebula, I don't recall seeing as much Ha in and around it on previous images.

Yes, I knew there were Ha there but I was also surprised how much the little Samyang 135 could pick up in 3.5 hours using the NBZ filter (and Omegon veTEC571 C).

9 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Agree with Steve, a different and refreshing view.

Olly

Thanks Olly! I find that with the fast optics and new generation of CMOS capturing this previously elusive deep Ha emission is almost inevitable, at least from a dark site.

Edited by gorann