Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Multiple SS50s

Richard N

Many members of our local Astro Society now have SS50s. Are there any novel ideas for using multiple SeeStars? I thought of a massively parallel Messier Marathon but there must be something better than that?

Since getting my AZ-EQ5 mount, I do like to have two scopes on the go when doing EEA, with differing fields of view. It's also crossed my mind that observing two different objects might be useful as I often find myself waiting for more frames to be taken and stacked. So I guess it might be interesting to have a few SS50s observing different objects and flipping between each of them as the frames came in and the stacked images improved.

With my single mount I tend to let the widefield scope stack away while at the same time collecting several shorter stacks using different settings or filters with the narrow field scope. This is partly because I only have one EAA filter wheel and usually fit it to the narrower field scope.

How many are you talking? If there's say ten of them, you'd get a stunning image per night if you combined the data from all of them on the same target into one image. Someone will need to know how to combine and stack the data and post process, this is AP workflow and can reveal far more than real time observation.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Elp said:

How many are you talking? If there's say ten of them, you'd get a stunning image per night if you combined the data from all of them on the same target into one image. Someone will need to know how to combine and stack the data and post process, this is AP workflow and can reveal far more than real time observation.

Well over 10 in our AstroSoc. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/02/2024 at 12:53, tomato said:

Get them all set up in the same location, it would make a great photo

Alternatively set them up, widely spaced, in a field. Call it the (Astrosoc name) Very Large Telescope Arrary.

Oops - has that term been used elsewhere😁