Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SIRIL Script question

I have been almost exclusively DSS for stacking since I started astrophotography but have recently started to use SIRIL for early processing stages such as background extraction, histogram stretching etc.

I have tried using SIRIL for stacking on one occasion and that went OK but, the last time I tried, my session was rejected as there were no bias frames.

Does SIRIL insist on the full regemin of lights, darks, flats and biases or can they be circumvented?

If so, how do I turn off any particular requirement.

Disclaimer-

I had a processing file on the desktop as the source file for the script to work from. The folder had sub folders for lights, darks, flats and biases but the bias foleder was empty. Would that have been the cause of the rejection?

Thanks,

Matt

The standard scripts are stored in a protected directory which needs admin privileges, but you can add a folder for your own scripts in the settings.

Scripts added/changed are only available when Siril is started so you can't modify one without a restart.

There are some you can download which only run using the combination of files you have. From lights only to all. Each is a separate command in the script.

See this for all scripts info

Links for scripts to add at bottom of this web page too

If you intend to edit them and need assistance just ask in SGL there are several Siril users here.

Edited by StevieDvd
Adding links
  • Like 1

If you would like to try manual stacking with Siril i could walk you through it. Its a bit more involved than the very easy to use scripts (or Deep Sky Stacker) but once you get the workflow its not too difficult.

I use a script of my own to calibrate my data, and then stack manually. The main upside of this is that you can stack any number of nights worth of data to one image instead of just one night with the script.

And you get to use the best feature in Siril, the plot drawing function, which allows you to easily analyze your data and make sub rejection calls at a glance which is something the scripts skip.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Just beware that those scripts are dated now, and when running them, I do notice an error message during the processing (appears in red text) saying that a command is no longer used. Whether this has any detrimental impact on the stack I couldn't say, but just something to note. I used to the "OSC with No DBF" and "OSC with No Darks", and get the same message on both - generally I only use them as a quick stack to see how my image is looking before adding more data in time.

Agree with Onikkinen, if you can use manual stacking it is better (or a script to get you so far). I've recently learnt this, all I did was to follow Siril's own guide - and then some final help from @ONIKKINEN for the multiple night stacking🙂 Good luck.

Just with the lack of biases...I thought they were required / necessary to calibrate the flat frames? If so, you can just go and shoot some with the lens cap on.

• Like 1