NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Monoceros Mosaic

I started this enterprise back in January 2020 with an ASI1600 attached to a Canon 200 mm f2.8 lens. It was not the greatest image - https://www.astrobin.com/oxjf3s/B/?nc=&nce=.

Despite the so called pedigree of Canon the stars were not up to the much cheaper Samyang and so I vowed to start again. Moving house twice and rubbish weather continue to make this a frustrating project.

This is eight panes of Ha taken with the Samyang 135 mm with ASI183MM.

Image21_clone_x4.thumb.jpg.f9d19bdcba8a2b66512501ea4058de6e.jpg

The image is significantly cropped across the bottom. The whole thing could be done far more easily if I were to pair the SY135 with my ASI1600 but that is currently attached to the SM90ED and I am reluctant to disturb it or to undertake the task or getting the 1600 set up on the Samyang.

Monoceros_mosaic_Annotated.thumb.jpg.70ecfb26c82bfab60583a3f4f3a9f6c3.jpg

We are now fast approaching the end of nebula season and the window of opportunity on Monoceros is drawing to close.

One day, hopefully, I might manage to get (a) a lot more Ha, and (b) some OIII and SII to go with it - hopefully it won't take another four years.

Thank you for looking.

Adrian

Edited by Adreneline
  • Like 11

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

This is eight panes of Ha taken with the Samyang 135 mm with ASI183MM.

Excellent arc of objects Adrian, showcasing the interacting Ha throughout this region.

1 hour ago, Adreneline said:

and the window of opportunity on Monoceros is drawing to close.

I hope you get another opportunity before it's gone!

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, geeklee said:

I hope you get another opportunity before it's gone!

So many of us are in the same boat - projects started and struggling to get them finished.

I am determined to try to complete the whole thing in SHO as I believe the SII has so much to offer in terms of revealing structure. I might yet have to face up to putting the 1600 on the Samyang.

28 minutes ago, geeklee said:

Excellent arc of objects Adrian, showcasing the interacting Ha throughout this region.

Thank you Lee.

Adrian

58 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I believe the SII has so much to offer in terms of revealing structure.

Completely agree, SII can offer a lot to some targets and subtle - but important - touches to others.  I still remember the recent Heart SNR data in SII, as it was such a surprise.

image.png.a38061d3231df60f8e205fd6ab04e1c2.png

58 minutes ago, Adreneline said:

I might yet have to face up to putting the 1600 on the Samyang.

Hopefully there's a last hurrah in the coming weeks!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mackiedlm said:

Thats a brilliant FOV. I really hope you can finish it because I think it would be a bit special. Good luck!

Thank you. I, we all, need a kind February - five or six clear nights should do it 🤣

Adrian

I agree with the others - a really nice composition!

Good luck with the completion. I'm normally quite quick getting mine done (mostly broadband with RASA), but I've been sitting on five unfinished images for the last few weeks - very frustrating. One got finished last week, one has the broadband completed but needs a lot of Ha and I have ended up giving up and sourcing this at Roboscopes so will hopefully get it finished this season, and the others await some clear nights!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Fegato said:

I agree with the others - a really nice composition!

Good luck with the completion.

Thank you Robin. To stand any chance of getting a 'finished' image this year (if there such a thing as a finished image) I really need to put the ASI1600 on the Samyang and prey for a couple of clear nights to get some OIII and SII. I could also do with some Ha to reinforce what I already have. The next seven days look terrible but you never know!

Adrian