Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone dismantled an Avalon Linear?

There was a thread in the NINA discord, from a guy who’s had one and had an issue with this mount. and he opened his up and found the belts had completely disintegrated, he contacted Avalon, who sent a full set of replacements and gave him instructions to take part and fit, they also offered to do the work even though the mount was over 10 years old, as the belts that had been fitted from new were poor ones, I think the guy is on here… @szymon 

Edited by Stuart1971
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Stuart1971 said:

There was a thread in the NINA discord, from a guy who’s had one and had an issue with this mount. and he opened his up and found the belts had completely disintegrated, he contacted Avalon, who sent a full set of replacements and gave him instructions to take part and fit, they also offered to do the work even though the mount was over 10 years old, as the belts that had been fitted from new were poor ones, I think the guy is on here… @szymon 

Thanks. I'll see if they can link me to a mechanical drawing.

Olly

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, szymon said:

Yes, that was me 🙂.  Avalon were excellent, I only had to pay for shipping for the belts.

Attached is the reassembly tutorial they sent me, should give you all you need.

-simon

linear-reassembling-tutorial.pdf 1.21 MB · 1 download

Thanks, Simon.

The mount simply stopped responding to slew commands, whether from the PC or from any of 3 handsets. A change of motherboard made no difference.

It has been sitting in the house for 9 months waiting for me to drum up the will to sort it out and... now it works. I'm trying to feel pleased about this but exasperation is winning so far!

:grin:lly

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ollypenrice said:

The mount simply stopped responding to slew commands, whether from the PC or from any of 3 handsets. A change of motherboard made no difference.

It has been sitting in the house for 9 months waiting for me to drum up the will to sort it out and... now it works. I'm trying to feel pleased about this but exasperation is winning so far!

Crazy.  Is yours the older EQ6 motherboard like mine or the newer StarGo board?  (And if the latter does that mean you have a spare ? 😉).

2 minutes ago, szymon said:

Crazy.  Is yours the older EQ6 motherboard like mine or the newer StarGo board?  (And if the latter does that mean you have a spare ? 😉).

Mine is EQ6, by preference. The Stargo proved a pain early on. One of my robotic clients switched from Stargo to EQ6 for his M Uno so maybe he has one for sale. Shall I ask?

Olly

Oh interesting, I'm surprised to hear that.  Avalon claim that the EQ6 is the root of all evil and that's why they moved away from it to StarGo!  Do ask if he'd be interested in selling (although I've just had to pay a yucky tax bill so money right now just isn't available, but I'd be interested in knowing if it'd be an option..).

39 minutes ago, szymon said:

Oh interesting, I'm surprised to hear that.  Avalon claim that the EQ6 is the root of all evil and that's why they moved away from it to StarGo!  Do ask if he'd be interested in selling (although I've just had to pay a yucky tax bill so money right now just isn't available, but I'd be interested in knowing if it'd be an option..).

Will do. I'm going back a long way with the Stargo issues, right to when it first appeared. I dare say it's fully sorted now.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

Will do. I'm going back a long way with the Stargo issues, right to when it first appeared. I dare say it's fully sorted now.

It's always worked fine for me (since 2017) with an ASCOM driver.

Tony