Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Small kit to take on holidays?

I have a SkyWatcher 72ED main scope with a SkyWatcher 50ED for guide scope and a Canon 100D / Altair Hypercam 174C on a EQ3 Pro mount which I use at home for photography. 

I am planing to make a small, portable and lightweight kit for taking with me on holidays.

I was using a FOV calculator and it seems the Hypercam and 50ED combo give me almost the same FOV as the 100D and 72ED. 

Any ideas what mount would be good for this setup?

Thank you in advance,

Thanasis

I would think you could take your existing stuff if you swapped out the tripod for a carbon fibre one.

I took my WO ZS 73 to Spain last year with all the bits and bobs, just had to stick the tripod and mount in the checked luggage.

If you decide to go with the ED50 you'll need a field flattener.

MM.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Up to you, does the price difference justify for you the am3 over the hem15 taking into account the differences between them, for me it didn't so I went hem15.

• Like 1

You have to physically set the fixed range based on your location latitude which is a faff but you'd do it indoors anyway doesn't take long. Doing the fine adjustment is all done by hand. I think you can adjust the tightness of the side bolts on the side of the body so you can use an Allen key within the notches of the altitude adjustment knob if you wanted to (my gem28 is like this, makes PA much easier), but mines set quite loose so I can hand turn the altitude adjustment knob.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/01/2024 at 19:05, Grumman said:

I have a SkyWatcher 72ED main scope with a SkyWatcher 50ED for guide scope and a Canon 100D / Altair Hypercam 174C on a EQ3 Pro mount which I use at home for photography. 

I am planing to make a small, portable and lightweight kit for taking with me on holidays.

I was using a FOV calculator and it seems the Hypercam and 50ED combo give me almost the same FOV as the 100D and 72ED. 

Any ideas what mount would be good for this setup?

Thank you in advance,

Thanasis

The HEM15 is the better match for travel its just lighter.  The AM3 is not really that much lighter than the AM5. But honestly the SW GTI will carry what you are looking at just fine. 

Adam 

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1

The hem15 also uses ever so slightly less power than the am3 so might be a consideration for battery usage, though whilst imaging I don't think you'd see much difference.

• Like 1

Thank you all, I do hear what you say about the HEM15 but having to polar align with an Allen key is a bit silly to be honest and a major no no for me as if that key goes missing I won’t be able to align it. 
I think I will go with the AM3 kit as it has an easier way to polar align over the HEM15 and greater payload capacity than the SW GTi without counterweights. Also it will allow me to have a heavier scope in the future if I do change it.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Elp said:

For clarification you DONT PA the hem15 with an allen key.

The AM3 is a good choice.

Oh is it? Saw video reviews that you had to use the Allen key for adjustments… I will check again… The Hem15 is cheaper than the AM3 and that was the only thing that I disliked… well also the fact that you need the controller for usb  output  but I can leave with it… will take a closer look, thanks!

Edited by Grumman

I've had mine since they came to market and the allen key has remained in its holding hole when in use. You use it to do the fixed altitude range adjustment, and possibly adjust the tension of the side bolts to make your altitude adjustment tighter or looser, after that you don't need it.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you that’s very helpful!

one question remains, do I really need to have the controller connected for the USB connectivity to a PC or is there a USB cable direct from the mount (similar to EQDirect cables for SW mounts) ?

Edited by Grumman

I believe it needs to be connected to the mount as all the data is in the controller. With my asiair the usb cable from the bottom of the controller plugs into the asiair. I believe you can connect to the WiFi of the hand controller but I haven't done that myself, this still means the hand controller is connected to the mount via the RJ connection which is always required. It's a none issue really, I just hang the hand controller on my tripod hook.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Grumman said:

Thank you!

I found this at FLO, will contact them and ask if it supports the HEM15 mount…

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/ioptron-mount-accessories/lynx-astro-ftdi-usb-to-serial-adapter-for-ioptron-handsets-mounts.html

A friend already contacted them with exactly that question, you still need the handset. 

I would not let that put you off too much though. 

Adam

• Like 1