Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Stellamira 125mm CF refractor

I have had a good few sessions with the 125mm, albeit moonlight affected, hazy cloud, strong breezes and with fairly average seeing, but feel I can write up some findings. 

Initial thoughts are that the 125mm SM looks the business and is one of the nicest telescopes I have ever seen. The black carbon fibre finish and splash of anodised red looks superb. It’s delivered in an Oklop bag which I absolutely love and stores the scope away so neatly and safely, a real bonus addition to the package.

The 5” in comparison to the 102ED-R is a much larger OTA, with the dew shield retracted it’s around 25cm longer I think. It hardly weighs anymore though, <1kg which for me makes carrying it, handling it and mounting it absolutely no different as I use the same tripod and mount for both. Cool down is around the same ~20-30mins, if I know I’m going to use either 4 or 5” I usually stick it out whilst I’m making dinner or some such.

The OTA rings hold a handle and vixen rail either side making moving it a doddle.

The rotating focuser mechanism now has an external screw to easily tighten for locking it in place, which I much prefer to the 102ed-r set-up. The R&P coarse and fine focuser is a dream and buttery smooth, these focusers are such a joy to use and with the amount of backfocus I have, I may even be able to get binoviewers working!

Firstly, I must confess an issue. When it came to first light, setting up the OTA was so easy. However the dewshield was fairly tight and extending it caused the serial number plate to come loose and move to the front of the dewshield. Obviously this was a huge defect! Having not actually looked through the scope I was a bit miffed to say the least, but thought I should still test the optics. I pointed the scope at Jupiter and was delighted to see a disc showing such rich detail. Despite ordinary seeing and a receding planet, I glimpsed some excellent views, completely CA free. 

Next target was Rigel, my favourite double, which I’ve never seen its companion star looking so bright, a huge tick here. Clouds started to pile in so I grabbed the opportunity to view M42. Wow, a greenish tinge that I’ve only ever seen in the dob, the trapezium lovely and visible. The E star just hanging around, no bother. Seeing was a bit wobbly so the F star wasn’t giving itself up but there’ll further opportunities. 

So the optics were/are superb, they are on a par with the 102ED-R, which kind of now finds itself redundant. Having had these visual experiences, I knew I had to contact FLO to sort out the serial plate issue and I didn’t want a refund, I wanted the 125mm!Within three emails, Chris had arranged a courier to my house to collect the 125mm. Within 7 days I had a replacement scope, with a much easier to move dewshield, might I add. All I can say is that they made purchasing & replacing an expensive piece of kit the most straight forward it could be, so hats off. 

Well since I’ve the 125mm back (a different #!), I had another session on Friday despite the blustery conditions and the optics matched the last OTA. Jupiter showed me a cracking white oval in the NEB, a feature I’ve struggled to see since getting into the hobby and that E star was there again, brazenly. Sirius not quite giving up the pup but not a splash of CA seen, some atmosphetic dispersion yes, but it won’t be long until I get that pup!

Similarly with the moon, despite its fullness the only colour I’ve seen is a touch of colour from the XWs I use, which I have seen in other scopes.

I can’t wait to spend some more time with this scope. The AZ75 handles it with ease, the SW steel tripod is enough but I might treat it to a BB Uni28 in the near future. 

I really want to see how this scope performs on targets that I’ve always felt a bit underwhelmed by in small refractors - the globs, the DSOs etc. Feel like I’m going to have a great spring and summer with this cannon!

IMG_6712.jpeg

IMG_6651.jpeg

IMG_6711.jpeg

• Like 14

Nice write up. And you're right - the scope really does look the business! I would really like to buy one but not enough money or room to store it....😥

• Like 1

Had another session tonight, again fairly strong breeze but transparency and seeing were ok. Stuck a UHC filter on a 17.5mm Morpheus and had the best views I’ve ever seen of M42. Amazing stuff. Everything I point this thing at it just excels. Very, very happy with it. It’s definitely taken the place of the 4”. 

Edited by IB20
  • Like 8