Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Screen Calibration- Any good tips?

I'm not sure if this has always been the case but lately I've noticed a significant colour balance difference when I look at images I've edited on my laptop from other devices. Mainly iphone but also other tablets. I'm pretty sure it's the calibration of the screen on the laptop

Does anyone know if there are any reliable ways to calibrate a monitor without an external device? I see there is a windows program but I get this message when I start and I'm worried I may make things worse.

Could it be that the wide colour gamut of the screen renders the colours differently onn other devices? For reference the laptop is an Asus ROG Flow X13 and the specs say it has >100% sRGB and 85% DCI-P3.

colourcalibration.png.92440a24624698bf0ca33c5f8f4f1d2e.png

It's extremely difficult if next to impossible to do without colour calibration devices because you're looking at the screen you're trying to calibrate (and using your own visual judgement if this is the process the program uses), if it's outputting incorrectly in the first place what is your point of reference in order to calibrate it? As you say the devices colour gamut is what can make the difference between devices as well as the colour space they are using, if the spaces are different the colours will be different.

I have used a THX optimiser available on some dvds (I'd assume blu ray too) to visually change my TV settings and it does make a difference, but won't compare to when doing colour accurate work on a professional grade monitor.

• Like 1

Yeah, I suppose the only real way is to buy a device or pay for it to be professionally calibrated. I suppose I could use the other devices in the house as a sort of reference but they are just as likely to be a poor reference. Just very frustrating working on something for hours only for it to  look completely different on other devices and to others. 

57 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

Isn’t there an inherent problem here? Even if you did calibrate your laptop screen, images might look different on your iPhone and tablets anyway.  

I suppose there is always going to be device variation but what I’ve been seeing is a larger than expected difference between the laptop and everything else. All the other devices show a similar colour profile. 

8 minutes ago, Icesheet said:

I suppose there is always going to be device variation but what I’ve been seeing is a larger than expected difference between the laptop and everything else. All the other devices show a similar colour profile. 

OK. Have you tried googling that error message you showed above?  I just did and it came up with lots of links some of which might be helpful. 

56 minutes ago, Ouroboros said:

OK. Have you tried googling that error message you showed above?  I just did and it came up with lots of links some of which might be helpful. 

Yeah, I actually found out I was using a wide gamut profile and have now changed it to the standard profile. Doesn’t seem to have changed anything immediately but l’m going to check more tomorrow. Will Google it and check out those links, thanks 👍