NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What is this EP - 32mm camera

Hi. I bought a 2nd hand 8” skywatcher dob that came with some lenses and filters. The box includes this item - can anyone tell me what it’s for please. 

thanks

Keithimage.thumb.jpg.bea48d254a15a0aeaee59ca5c8d79dda.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Revelation Astro are a well known brand, the optics should be fine, but I’m surprised they didn’t get the spelling  of “Superview” correct! Perhaps it’s from a batch of seconds. 

I've got one, made by GSO I think and branded Revelation Astro like the OP. It's a nice easy to use low powered eyepiece. For visual observing I use it as a normal eyepiece.

Mine has written

Revelation Astro 32mm camera project lens fully multi coated

Edited by happy-kat

Thanks for the notes. 

we’ve got an old dslr with a Sony/minolta mount - presumably with the right adaptor I could connect this to what appears to be a 40mm thread on this eyepiece?

I’ll start googling and see what I can find. 

keith

I believe it's a T-thread on top for directly attaching a T-mount adapter on your DSLR.  The thread size is M42 x 0.75.  You can then vary the distance between the eyepiece and camera sensor by loosening the thumbscrew and sliding the outer sleeve up and down to fine tune the image circle size and/or course focus and then re-tightening the screw.  You then refocus the eyepiece from the focuser using live view on your camera to watch for best focus.  You can get in the focus ballpark using the camera's viewfinder as well, but there can be a slight discrepancy between the two focus points.

This is really helpful thank you. I was getting confused about t-ring and t-piece etc. But from your message, and some google, looks like it’s just a ring I need with the right mount for Sony and then I can connect this EP using the 42mm thread. 

We’ll give it a try. I expect it to be totally infuriating trying to get this to work with our 8” dob - but that’s part of the fun. :)

keith

As a follow up - others I’ve seen on YouTube appear to need a Barlow to get the set back at the correct distance for the camera to hit the right point of focus. If anyone has useful experience in this I’d very much appreciate any pointers. 

k