SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

SMART TELESCOPES ? YOUVE SEEN NOTHING YET - WHAT ABOUT SMART BINOCULARS?

paulastro

• paulastro changed the title to SMART TELESCOPES ? YOUVE SEEN NOTHING YET - WHAT ABOUT SMART BINOCULARS?

Is already upsetting some birding purists. Like go-to mounts, night vision and smart scopes in astronomy, it rather hands things on a plate to the observer. I’ve reached a stage in birdwatching where many of the species I’ve yet to see are incredibly difficult to positively identify, so I say, bring them on. Brilliant technology, and if it helps people appreciate nature, then all’s good. But £4k!! I’ll wait for the SVBony version.

• Like 1

I guess this should not be a surprise. It seems to be the way things have been going over the last few years, in all sorts of fields, and I don't think the pace will slow.

The application of new tech to make things that were hitherto difficult and challenging, somewhat easier.

With these new binoculars you still need to get out and find the birds to point them at 🙂

Edited by John
  • Like 1

The problem I’m having is with small birds like warblers, trying to work out what bird you’ve seen fleetingly, with age and sex making things doubly difficult. But I doubt that even a £4k piece of kit like this would provide conclusive answers. 

• Like 2

I guess it provides a pointer, but is the average observer going to know whether it is correct or not.  Will it become the case that because a 'black box' has generated the answer it has to be correct?

• Like 1