Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SeeStar - Rosette Nebula

powerlord

2 hours with the Seestar S50  last night in EQ mode.

Restacked and processed in Affinity and Siril.

Pretty amazing for an all in one robotic telescope for less than 500 quid!

Rosette.Seestar.thumb.jpg.651528f11848b15c21519e3bf171d200.jpg

Original seestar stacked from phone for reference :

1705450823237.jpg

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, powerlord said:

Could you explain how you used it in EQ mode - I see nothing on the ZWO website about this. Good capture by the way.

11 minutes ago, powerlord said:

5 minutes ago, PeterCPC said:

Could you explain how you used it in EQ mode - I see nothing on the ZWO website about this. Good capture by the way.

Yes I'd also like to understand this, as the rotation is a real downside of the seestar for me.

The impression I get is that you are just using a wedge, but the posts I read over Christmas on Cloudy nights implied opening up the seestar and disabling the gearing - which I'm not keen to get into! Can you explain please?

Here is the go. Basically wedge to point whole thing at polaris. I stuck on a red dot finder so I could aim it. I've used a bar between wedge and S50 to recenter the mass under the tripod. You can easily make yer own wedge from a few bits of wood, piano hinge and a few nuts and bolts.

Once aligned, turn it on and use controls to move to somewhere. I've found around 60 alt in east is best - I roughly pointed at capella. (DO NOT DO A GOTO CAPELLA) Doesn't need to ACTUALLY be accurate. Just make sure that it has a clear view around there towards north and south.

Press the red button. It will now do a 3 star alignment by plate solving current target, moving alt anticlockwise a bit, plate solving, then moving clockwise from start a bit for 3rd one.

After that it will say target centred or something. Now you can do a goto capella and it should work. Your all set.

Now, the Dec is limited in how far it can revolve, so stuff in the high north is likely not goto able, but most stuff in east, west, south is fine.

Once you've got your wedge rig sorted it's really no more hassle to setup than in ALT mode.

20240117_111112.jpg

20240117_111123.jpg

20240117_111128.jpg

Edited by powerlord
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Thank you
- have you continued to use the SS in eq mode?
- If so have you noted any issues re wear on the gears so far?
- Also do you still use 10 sec shots and do you get less drop outs because of trails?

I have seen one or two posts about 'tilt' not sure what that is but someone suggested eq could make it worse. Following Cuivs post today I have a wedge and am keen to try this.
Sorry for all the questions!