Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Artifacts after processing with Autostakkert

Hi all,

I've been attempting to capture Jupiter with my 250mm f/4.8 Newtonian, 5x Barlow and ZWO ASI120mc cam.

This is around 4000 frames. Unfortunately, after stacking with Autostakkert the image has these strange markings and streaks. Any idea what's causing this and how to avoid it? It happens with all captures, including ones with considerably more frames.

53468585083_d3a4244e5b_b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What settings are you using (alignment points, % stacked, etc) in autostakkert?  Looks like maybe really bad seeing and stacking causing the artifacts.  There is also Autostakkert!4 out now too.  Are you using version 3 or 4?

Edited by Seti Astro

Did the planet move in the FOV much when capturing? I've had issues previously due to this, it stacks better if you can keep the planet centred or if it doesn't move so much (shorter capture time).

The vertical banding looks like sensor noise - not seen as severe a case tbh. How old is the camera? If under warrantee you might be able to exchange it. Possibly updating the drivers and reducing the gain could help if that’s not an option. 

Edited by woldsman