Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Eyepieces for SW150P to see Jupiter's Red Spot and Saturn's rings

Hi, I recently purchased a Skywatcher Explorer 150P. With this scope is it possible to see Jupiters red spot and the rings of Saturn if so any advice on what lenses and accessories I might need to do so would be really appreciated.

• Cornelius Varley changed the title to Eyepieces for SW150P to see Jupiter's Red Spot and Saturn's rings

A 150p should easily show something of Saturn's rings, even with the kit eyepieces. You will have to be quick before it disappears into the twilight.

Viewing the Great Red Spot will require a good quality eyepiece of suitable focal length, plus keen eyesight. 

• Like 2

My first scope was the 150p  I got BST 8mm, 15mm and 25mm eyepieces.  I could easily see the rings of Saturn I saw the red spot on Jupiter and I saw the E and F stars in the Trapezium on a very cold clear night in December many years ago.  The ring nebula and M13 Hercules cluster looked superb.

• Like 1

To easily see the GRS on Jupiter(when it's visible) with your scope I would get myself an 8mm & 5mm eyepiece. This will provide you with 97x and 150x respectively. The seeing conditions will determine which one is best for a particular nights conditions. It may also be a good idea to check the collimation as it will provide sharper views when collimated allowing you to see the GRS. Happy hunting.

• Like 3

Great advice here and welcome to the forum. I had the 150P and it will show you many things, a very capable scope. Also found a good quality 2x Barlow is a good edition for this scope.

Rob

• Like 1

No problem Steve,

We are always happy to help. I would suggest an ED/APO Barlow. GSO make a good one at a sensible cost. They can be found under different names. If you find something check here, we can always advise.

Regards Rob

Edited by Rob

30 minutes ago, Stephen Frost said:

Thanks Rob, I live in Wigan but there’s no club I can go too, but you guys on here have been brilliant.

Steve

If you fancy coming to mine you can try my eyepieces in your scope before you buy. 

• Like 1