Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First go untracked with vintage lens

OK I know its got a lot wrong.... but before I start spending on mounts and what not I thought I'd take a short drive to a bortle 5 and see what I could do with just my camera. 

This is a helios 135mm f2.8 lens at f4

Iso 25000

Sony a7iii

I think its around 200x1.5 sec exposures in a bortle 5 sky.

No darks or flat or anything but glad to get out at least and visually look at the sky after a 9 Yr break from it.

Got a lot to learn but in 9 years it's good to see how the technology has moved along and lots of great you tube channels and info out there now. 

Stars are going crazy but hey... I managed to get a faint and noisey horse head in there 

The andromeda is around 160 x 3 seconds with a tt artisans leica mount 50mm f1.4 at 2.8

Both are super cropped

1000018872-02.jpeg

1000018867-01.jpeg

Edited by BillPickle
  • Like 7

I'd be happy with that. You'd maybe improve those images with the calibration frames?? 

The six point diffractions spike on the members of Orion's Belt are quite pleasing.

Thanks. Yeah for sure... calibration frames would for sure clean it up a little.

It was a last minute idea I had and just put the stuff in the car and drove up slightly under prepared for the -4 temperature.

I found the lens in a bag of lenses I had and had no idea of the quality so I wasn't taking things too seriously on location.

Just happy to be out in total darkness enjoying the view while the internal intervelometer?? :s Did its thing 

• Like 2

That's actually quite the result. When I read the exposure time I though it'd lack signal but it hasn't, and Sony bodies sometimes aren't really good for astro (I've got a7s so know).

Edited by Elp
  • Thanks 1

I also read the same thing so was disappointed that maybe the a7iii that I mainly bought for video a few years back might not be suitable. I turned off all noise reduction and gave it a go at the ridiculous iso.

I'm wondering if it would be worth spending 260 quid on one of those ebay astromodified canon 600d's 

I had considered getting the star adventurer again but have been looking at a few others like that can hold more weight. Lots to think about and research.

I was thinking if I got a star adventurer with a basic zwo 120mm guiding setup and a decent 200mm lens I could reduce my iso to maybe 6400 and hope for some 120 second ish exposures to clean things up a little. 

Just can't pull the trigger on anything at the moment however and keep looking at heavier duty mounts and ed refractors etc. 

Not sure the type of shooting I want to do. I actually enjoyed the quick and easy setup of just a tripod haha

The 600D is decent, I had an astro modded one, but the noise can be problematic, the images kind of come out blotchy compared to an astro camera.

Also had a SA, didn't use it much, framing targets was a chore. I bought an azgti soon after and still use it in EQ mode fully autoguided. Transformed my imaging together with an Asiair (it should also support your Sony A7) for controlling everything. With the azgti I also use my Z61 scope for AP as well as my twin Samyang 135mm setup (this lens is one of the best pieces for astro, better than a lot of telescopes due to its speed and sharpness across the frame).

If you go for an astro controller setup, an uncooled astro camera will be a good option, I've used 485/183/294 all uncooled for DSO perfectly fine with camera lenses using ZWOs various lens adaptors.

Edited by Elp

Thanks for the info. I have been looking at that specific lens. Outstanding results with it. 

I also looked at the az gti but for some reason was slightly worried about polar alignment with it for tracking. I realise it's a matter of proper research regarding that mount and the go to function seems really useful. 

I already have a 9x50 finder I bought for guiding years ago with am old spc 900 webcam that I didn't have much if any luck with but from what I can see things seem way more simple and affordable now.

I also love the idea of those asiair but again wasn't sure if the Sony was compatible or not... I need to learn more about plate solving and tracking/guiding to work out exactly what I'll need to get but it sounds like maybe a guide camera , asiair mini and the azgti then the samyang/rokinon 135mm f2 could be somewhat close to a good portable kit I can have some fun with. 

Thanks for the recommendations

Just be mindful an Asiair means you need to use zwo astro cameras, and their automation equipment, there's a compatibility list on their website for the Canon/Nikon/Sony bodies supported.

Most common mounts from other manufacturers are supported.

PA is easy via the air, it uses the main camera and you can be done within 5-10 minutes, it also has an experimental "all sky" option where you can PA without being able to see the poles.

For azgti results, check the owners thread, it's quite a long thread though.

You'll also need in addition to what you've mentioned, a DIY counterweight, an EQ wedge, small guidescope and eqdir or eqmod cable, a small dovetail for the azgti to mount onto the eq wedge. Starting from scratch, a Skywatcher SAGTI might be the better package.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

those images are brilliant. I've had a go at the Pleiades with a Nikon D90 and 135mm f/2.8 at f/4. Id forgotten how bad a camera it was. If the skies are clear tonight I will be trying andromeda tonight.

This will be on a first gen skywatcher with a ballhead rather than the l bracket, i dont think i see the value in guiding one but WMMV

Thanks. I was surprised at how much info I managed to collect with 1.5 second exposures. The high iso reallt helped. Once I get a tracking mount I'll need to find the sweet spot between noise iso and data captured. I had a clear night tonight here in glasgow but its 8 below.

Hope u manage to get something!

My next target is the rosette nebula I think

• Like 1