Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Top 10 Targets to Observe for a Beginner

Late winter / early Spring update to the List of Ten (my take).

Notes: I am sticking to DSOs, most of them "any sky" objects, and assuming you start observing early in the evening. I try to give them in a rough "West-East" order so as to make a logical sequence. And I'm cheating, adding discretionary objects above 10. Sorry about that ;D 

- Beta Monocerotis, splendid triple system

- NGC2244 the Satellite Cluster in Monoceros (under dark skies and with a UHC filter, you may be able to sense the Rosette Nebula)

--- Alternative in case you've observed NGC2244 already: NGC2264 Christmas Tree Cluster (no, chances are you won't see the Cone Nebula)

- M35, spectacular open cluster in Gemini (and if under good skies, look at its neighbours; bonus tough double: Propus)

- Eskimo Nebula, one of the finest planetary nebulae, in Gemini (nearby bonus: Castor)

- M46 and M47, two open clusters in Puppis (yes, they're two but I count them as one; and there's a planetary nebula in M46!)

- M44 the Beehive Cluster in Cancer

--- No widefield capabilities? Forget the Beehive and head for M67 the King Cobra Cluster in Cancer

- Iota Cancri, a beautiful, easy double

--- if you're in for a challenge and have the instrument and atmospheric conditions to split doubles down to 1.1 arc seconds: the marvellous Zeta Cancri

- M81 and M82 aka Bode's Nebulae (= galaxies) in Ursa Major

- NGC3242 the Ghost of Jupiter Planetary Nebula, a startlingly colourful planetary in Hydra

- M65, M66 and NGC3628, the Leo Triplet of galaxies

—- want to save the trio for later in the year, and observe more around the Lion’s nose? Wise decision, rewarded with two objects: splendid Algieba, and Messier-list-worthy Galaxy NGC2903 (the Missing Jewel of Leo) 

"Out-of-list" last chance objects: if you haven't done so, do take a look at the Orion Nebula and at the Pleiades!

PS: most of these objects (and more) are in Turn Left. I really recommend you grab a copy! 

Edited by radiofm74
  • Like 4

Top right of the screen there is a "Follow" option, which lets you be notified whenever new content is posted and places the thread on your "followed" list. Clear skies!

• Thanks 1

Although I have seen so many objects from the various lists I decided to buy the book recommended by kev100. It really is an excellent book and we'll worth the cost of buying it from FLO.

I know that the original poster RJC recommended 10 objects but this book covers so much more. I recommend it to anybody.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Although I have seen so many objects from the various lists I decided to buy the book recommended by kev100. It really is an excellent book and we'll worth the cost of buying it from FLO.

I know that the original poster RJC recommended 10 objects but this book covers so much more. I recommend it to anybody.

I took a look at the list of the 50 objects in that book, and it's odd that its missing some obvious (or at least easy) crowd pleasers like M27 (Dumbbell Nebula), M17 (Omega Nebula), Epsilon Lyrae (Double Double), and any of the M34/M35/M36/M37/M38 open clusters.  Many of the objects listed also require dark skies to make out, so not very good choices for the average suburban observer.

If you really want endless observing possibilities, look for volumes 1 and 2 of The Night Sky Observer's Guide by Kepple and Sanner.  Sky & Telescope's store has new copies of volume 2.

9 hours ago, Louis D said:

I took a look at the list of the 50 objects in that book, and it's odd that its missing some obvious (or at least easy) crowd pleasers like M27 (Dumbbell Nebula), M17 (Omega Nebula), Epsilon Lyrae (Double Double), and any of the M34/M35/M36/M37/M38 open clusters.  Many of the objects listed also require dark skies to make out, so not very good choices for the average suburban observer.

If you really want endless observing possibilities, look for volumes 1 and 2 of The Night Sky Observer's Guide by Kepple and Sanner.  Sky & Telescope's store has new copies of volume 2.

If this thread proves anything, it's undoubtedly the case that everyone's top 10 lists will differ 😀

• Like 2

It’s subjective but some good deep sky targets to start with (in most sky conditions on dark nights) would be 

Galaxies

M31 & M32 (Andromeda & companion)

M81  & M82 (Bode’s & Cigar)

M106

Planetary Nebula / Supernova Remnants

M1 (Crab nebula)

M27 (Dumbbell Nebula)

M57 (Ring Nebula)

Globular Clusters

M3, M5,  M13, M92

Although I have seen over 1000 different DSO I felt that Kevin's book really was a good example of picking 50 favourite and interesting objects. Yes I agree that some of the objects could be changed but I was happy with the format.

• Like 1