Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PHD2 star won't move enough

Hoping someone can help, iv recently upgraded my old windows 7 netbook to a new windows 11 laptop for imaging. For some reason now when PhD 2 is calibrating it's goes through it's 60 steps then says star doesn't move enough. I moved exactly all the same settings over from PhD 2 on my old netbook to the new laptop. It's guided first time every time with my old netbook. I even tried it with the old connection cable onto the guide socket on the heq5 mount. Any ideas what Iay be doing wrong? 

IMG_20240106_200807.jpg

Thanks  for the advice. For some back ground info. Before I used an ST4 cable between mount and camera. And the old hand controller and laptop and did everything at the scope. (Old style setup) Never had any issues guiding would work first time every time using PHD 1. I'm using a very old QHY5 camera. Prob 10 years old. Iv being trying to bring my setup into the modern era with mini PC mounted on the scope/NINA/ EQ Mod/ Remote desktop using a laptop. My finder is a SW watcher finder with QHY camera. Which I believe has a focal length of 180mm and camera pixel.size of 5.2 microns. Iv tried calibration steps of 600/1000/1700 still get star doesn't move enough alert from PHD2. You can see the star move off the cross hair. My belief is that with eqmod you don't need an ST4 cable between guide cam and mount. I did try it with the cable but it still said star did t move enough. Am I missing something really obvious here? As if I can't get guiding to work might aswell pack it in. 

2 hours ago, Dunc78 said:

Thanks  for the advice. For some back ground info. Before I used an ST4 cable between mount and camera. And the old hand controller and laptop and did everything at the scope. (Old style setup) Never had any issues guiding would work first time every time using PHD 1. I'm using a very old QHY5 camera. Prob 10 years old. Iv being trying to bring my setup into the modern era with mini PC mounted on the scope/NINA/ EQ Mod/ Remote desktop using a laptop. My finder is a SW watcher finder with QHY camera. Which I believe has a focal length of 180mm and camera pixel.size of 5.2 microns. Iv tried calibration steps of 600/1000/1700 still get star doesn't move enough alert from PHD2. You can see the star move off the cross hair. My belief is that with eqmod you don't need an ST4 cable between guide cam and mount. I did try it with the cable but it still said star did t move enough. Am I missing something really obvious here? As if I can't get guiding to work might aswell pack it in. 

You are correct with EQMOD you don’t need an ST4 cable, you just need the USB cable from camera to PC and EQMOD cable from mount to the PC, also EQMOD needs to be set to “pulse guide” mode and NOT “ST4 mode”.

It sounds like the mount is not getting any commands at all, so a setting must be wrong somewhere, probably in EQMOD

It looks like as you good people.on here have suggested that eqmod default guide pulse settings were at the default 0.1 iv now moved these to 0.5. Will try this out guiding  the next clear night. Out of interest do I need to adjust the min pulse width and Dec backlash settings or just leave as default? 

IMG_20240111_193516.jpg

40 minutes ago, Dunc78 said:

It looks like as you good people.on here have suggested that eqmod default guide pulse settings were at the default 0.1 iv now moved these to 0.5. Will try this out guiding  the next clear night. Out of interest do I need to adjust the min pulse width and Dec backlash settings or just leave as default? 

IMG_20240111_193516.jpg

Leave those alone…👍🏻