Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ-GTI wifi not working

The mount arrived a few days ago, excited i set it up, screwed everything in and put in the 8 AA batteries. I turn the mount on and went to settings to see that it is there, i go to the synscan pro app and connect. Everything is working fine. All of a sudden the wifi stops working, synscan stops connecting to the mount. Now the light is a static red colour, i try to connect again, no wifi showing up. I leave it for 4 hours and try again. Nothing. I turned my router off, tried connecting to the synscan wifi with my phone, friend’s phone and my laptop… the wifi just isn't showing up. Currently leaving it on for another 4hrs. If anyone can point to a forum that i missed or knows the answer, would be appreciated. 

I suggest you use a mains adaptor or a better power supply and try again  AA batteries and tracking mounts don't mix well.  I have two AZ-Gti mounts and have used them for 3 years at our outreach events but always on mains power or with my DeWalt drill battery with a USB output unit through a step up module to 12 V 800mA.  They are great mounts and will run several nights on one drill battery.

Why is there a router in the equation? Take out the complication and connect directly to the azgti via tablet or phone for fault finding.

The above point about power is valid. The mount doesn't work well on AA batteries, it shouldn't have been designed with that option. I used to get WiFi disconnects constantly and what seemed like an unresponsive app, a 12v power pack sorted it out permanently.

• Like 1

thank you, will look into that. On other forums people were saying that it may cause interference or something so turn it off to see if that's the problem or go somewhere remote. Will have a look into a power pack - thanks

I think you'll find if you're in an urban location you'll have at minimum at least a dozen WiFi signals all around you so this point is moot.

Taken from the user manual here - https://inter-static.skywatcher.com/downloads/azgti_manual_v102.pdf

Page 7 - Power LED: The power LED serves as a power-on indicator and provides other statuses. 1. Steady on: Internal Wi-Fi is off. 2. Intermittent one flash: Internal Wi-Fi is on. 3. Intermittent two flashes: App has connected to internal Wi-Fi. 4. Intermittent three flashes: Internal control board has entered firmware update mode.

Page 9 - 3.4 Wi-Fi Connection

User must connect to the mount’s Wi-Fi within 15 minutes after turning on power. The Wi-Fi will be turned off automatically if no connection is estabilished within 15 minutes, . • By default, the SSID of the built-in Wi-Fi is “SynScan_xxxx” and there is no password. User can download Skywatcher’s “SynScan” app from App Store or Google Play to configure the mount’s built-in Wi-Fi. • Reset Wi-Fi configuration to factory default by turning on the power without the SynScan hand control connected and no App operations via the Wi-Fi connection for 4 hours.

So it looks like the WiFi is currently disabled and it needs to be powered on for 4 hours to reset itself.

As for the AA batteries, I'm going to go against the crowd here and say that it works fine for me, the AZ-GTi unlike other mounts is designed to use them and copes well with the slightly lower voltage, plus it saves me the faff of dragging out an extension lead, however, many household 12v supplies work fine such as the ones supplied with routers 5.5mm plug with the centre being positive if memory serves.