Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I might have to massively downscale my rig. Is a high quality international travel setup possible?

Hi!

I might need to relocate to another country in Europe this year, and as such I am faced with the necessity of parting with my current setup as it would be impossible to take with me at all let alone take on a plane. I am wondering now if besides setting my kit on a star adventurer with a DSLR lens, are there setups I could build that would fit into motorcycle and plane luggage capacity?

Currently I have:

HEQ5-PRO (The most obvious thing to go)

130mm f6 triplet (The next most obvious thing to go)

RisingCam 571 with ZWO filter wheel and chroma LRGB-SII-Ha-OIII filters (I want to keep this if possible, possibly the least sensible financial decision of my life...)

Mini PC (maybe 20x20x8cm)

Pegasus Power Box Advanced

50mm f4 finder with ZWO 120mm mini.

I have thought as a first step about swapping my 130mm triplet for something like the WO Pleiades 68, despite its higher cost it is a faster scope (so better for shorter sessions that might need a commute) compact at only 34cm in length but still relatively long at 260mm focal length. The only issue here besides cost would be that it is slightly faster than the f4 rating on the chroma filters? I don't know how much the 0.2 fs will affect their performance but hopefully they would still be usable?

I could probably fit the pegasus box, my ZWO EAF and the guide scope onto that easily enough. But what about power if i am going out, and my HEQ5 is still more than a little too monstrous... I have thought about one of the new ZWO AM3 mounts, maybe without the insanely priced tripod if my Manfrotto 055 could hold it, it is some beefy thing. It would mean I could disregard the need for counterweights and is nice and compact... Assuming the WO scope and guide scope and camera can fit into that 8KG limit?

Oh dear oh dear. This hobby has always proved stressful but I don't think I could give it up. If I can get a travel-ready setup then I suppose I could at least plan holidays to places with slightly more reliable conditions like rural spain, or is that wishful thinking?

I don't know what I should do at this point as my current setup hasn't been used for over 2 months thanks to the great british weather. I sometimes think this hobby is reserved for simply more fortunate countries but I feel compelled to continue regardless.

Does anyone here have thoughts? What kit are people currently using for grab and go imaging? Thanks.

My setups are purposely put together for travel considerations. Camera lenses are the most versatile and compact, next to that I have a Z61 which I can use for visual and photography, I also image f3.8 with it and have been for a few years so the Pleiades f stop isn't necessarily a new thing, it is a natty looking thing though.

For mount I've been using an azgti in EQ mode, recently added a hem15 which will be it's likely replacement, so you can save on the wedge, extension pier (maybe), and counterweights, it'll also fit on any 3/8 photo tripod.

My C6 setup also fits into one backpack. All these setups can run off batteries only slightly larger than high capacity mobile phone usb power packs but with 12v outs.

Many setups are possible, it depends on what you want.

• Like 1

Have you considered boxing all the heavy bulky stuff up in advance and then having it couriered out to you after you arrive at your new location, probably no more expensive than what it would cost you in selling your current gear and then having to buy replacements in Europe. 

7 minutes ago, PhilB61 said:

Have you considered boxing all the heavy bulky stuff up in advance and then having it couriered out to you after you arrive at your new location, probably no more expensive than what it would cost you in selling your current gear and then having to buy replacements in Europe. 

Sadly I'm highly likely to need to transport it some distance & without a car, at most I'd be able to have a motorbike for some time I'd guess.

I'd be going to Nordrhein Westfallen in an area where I'd be on 4th floor and have to lug all that down the stairs and to a close by park! Not great if my kit weighs 40+KG haha. I do certainly hope after a while I'd be able to move to a different part of that area with either a garden or at least roof access but I'd have to make do for a while!

It could even be a matter of cut right back to basics but I want to consider all options first...

1 hour ago, pipnina said:

I'd be going to Nordrhein Westfallen in an area where I'd be on 4th floor and have to lug all that down the stairs and to a close by park! Not great if my kit weighs 40+KG haha.

I do this, except my kit is closer to 60kg and i am on the 6th floor 🙂.

Not on a motorbike though, cant really see that happening. Unless you come up with some dodgy strap contraption to hold all the kit like extra luggage compartments on some travel bikes (depends on the bike how sane an idea it is).

Is acquiring a second hand car of some sort a possibility? More costs of course, but at least you get to keep the kit you've built up over the years.

This is about 12-in long with dewshield retracted and weighs around 5 pounds and I believe was designed more for photography although I use mine for visual:

72ED

It's a decent little portable scope and I'd be quite surprised if it's not sold under different brand names in the UK / Europe.  Couple it with a lightweight mount and carbon fiber tripod and it's airliner friendly.  (I use a ScopeTech Zero and Innorel RT90C tripod.)

Just one possible option.

21 hours ago, pipnina said:

Sadly I'm highly likely to need to transport it some distance & without a car, at most I'd be able to have a motorbike for some time I'd guess.

I'd be going to Nordrhein Westfallen in an area where I'd be on 4th floor and have to lug all that down the stairs and to a close by park! Not great if my kit weighs 40+KG haha. I do certainly hope after a while I'd be able to move to a different part of that area with either a garden or at least roof access but I'd have to make do for a while!

It could even be a matter of cut right back to basics but I want to consider all options first...

If you're able to move to a different part with a garden or roof access after a while, would it be feasible to put the mount and scope into one of those secure storage centres near to where you're moving to? I've never used one, but it could be worth looking at a few prices to see if it's worth doing (along with anything else personal or otherwise you may want to take with you). Alternatively, if you're on a 4th floor, does it have a balcony you could use your kit from?

Obviously you would still need to look at ways of getting it all there. I assume there's no way the airlines would allow it even if you paid for the extra luggage and weight? Another thought, are you be hiring a removal company / man with a van / friend on a roadtrip who could take it over?