Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Light pollution filter

Beardy30

the ASI224 is sensitive to IR as is my 462 so I will be trying either the UV/IR filter or a CLS CCD I picked up second hand, the CCD bit means it has got the UVV/IR block built in, my light pollution is low ish as bortle 5

Edited by happy-kat
I think it is a CLS CCD not UHC CCD flavour I have and it is a type of broad band filter
  • Like 1

I'm not sure a light pollution filter will be beneficial for EAA. You can more easily reduce the background sky noise by adjusting the black level in the histogram.

A UV / IR cut filter is useful if you have an IR sensitive camera. Without one the stars will appear very white and the colour washed out. But for faint galaxies and star clusters you are better off with no filter.

A UHC filter is useful for emission nebulae, but as @happy-kat mentions, it needs to be one that cuts IR, like the L-eNhance.

On 29/12/2023 at 11:41, happy-kat said:

the ASI224 is sensitive to IR as is my 462 so I will be trying either the UV/IR filter or a CLS CCD I picked up second hand, the CCD bit means it has got the UVV/IR block built in, my light pollution is low ish as bortle 5

Worth mentioning that sensitivity to IR can be used to your advantage in some cases. I suspect brown dwarfs will be more apparent although I’m not sure how effective most scopes are when used at near infrared frequencies. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I use the Baader Neodymium as well and it does make a difference. I am in Bortle 6 with several unwelcome sources of stray light nearby.

Sadly the advent of wide-spectrum led streetlights means light pollution filters work a bit less well as the light is smeared all over many frequencies. The old orange lights had a specific frequency which they cut.

I am also considering the l-enhance but for emission nebulae only.