Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bortle 8 resident - Did I screw up? Advice Please

As a beginner don't fall into the trap of buying unnecessary things, an EAF which is one. You DONT need one, been doing this for years and often use camera lenses which are very very difficult to sharp focus more so than telescopes, and never have I thought to adapt one to an auto focuser. Telescopes are much easier to focus, you don't need an EAF.

• Like 1

I also agree that an electronic focuser is not required. However I did find that a simple electric focuser was of great benefit when trying to achieve sharp focus with an 8SE due to the mount causing vibrations when focusing. Your 6SE being lighter may not require this. 

On 08/01/2024 at 02:18, Cosmic Geoff said:

You don't need an auto focuser. I don't use one.  Resist the temptation to buy unneccesary stuff which you will try once and then leave in the box.  Get some experience using the scope.

Yes! Please resist the urge to get an auto focuser! AP/EAA is already complicated and difficult enough! This just adds more complexity and difficulty! In a few years if you really want to fiddle with a auto focuser and have worked out all the other gremlins as well as have gained a fair amount of experience then perhaps add a auto focuser. Also DON'T fall into the aperture trap! There will be an overwhelming desire at some point to increase the aperture of the scope you have. This is great until the novelty wears off and then it will just sit in the corner and gather dust because it is too heavy/bulky to deal with. There is a saying in the hobby: The best scope for you is the one you use. And it is very true. I would recommend, at most, the 8" SCT and pair it with a 80mm or 102mm APO refractor. The two are a powerful combination that gives you the tools you need to observe just about everything worth looking at out there. And won't break your back.