Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SeeStar S50 Bortle 8-9 Zone Thoughts?

Hi all, I have seen plenty of threads regarding this scope but I was wondering if anyone had specific photos and/or experience with the S50 in a high Bortle Zone like 8-9 as I live in Brooklyn, NY. I have no expectations of National Geographic level details but wanted to know if I could expect more and/or noticeable better results on DSO's compared to my Celestron Nexstar 6SE ?

On 21/12/2023 at 18:00, Vinnyvent84 said:

Hi all, I have seen plenty of threads regarding this scope but I was wondering if anyone had specific photos and/or experience with the S50 in a high Bortle Zone like 8-9 as I live in Brooklyn, NY. I have no expectations of National Geographic level details but wanted to know if I could expect more and/or noticeable better results on DSO's compared to my Celestron Nexstar 6SE ?

I live in Zone 2 central London (specified as Bortle 9 on ClearOutside) and I've posted a few pictures on the other Seestar thread (near the end).

It's actually rather good, especially with the filter on.  I've got the 2 inch filter holder now so I'll try it with the L-Extreme soon as well.  Results are obviously not as good as my full rig but it also takes 2 seconds to set up so you can use it on semi-cloudy nights or for quick bursts.

So far I think it's a great little thing.

MM.

Edit:  I see a previous poster has mentioned my photos already!

Edited by MonsterMagnet

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/12/2023 at 10:00, Vinnyvent84 said:

It actually does surprisingly well in a 8-9 zone. I live in one and for $500 it is very impressive! As noted see page 40. It will give you several examples.