NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

XT-8 Not for Me

When I was a teenager I had a couple of different beginner scopes. One was a 60mm Meade Refractor. The other was a 3.5 inch? reflector scope. I was able to find a lot of fascinating things with those two but eventually lost interest.

As an older adult now I recently purchased an Orion XT-8 in hopes of finding some galaxies that I have never seen and some planetary nebulas.

The XT-8 did give me a nice view of planets and other easy to find objects but it is too bulky to move around on the limited night sky viewing opportunities I have. I also have a hard time with that red dot finder and I just have a harder time located objects with it in general.

Is there a scope that would allow me to view  some of the smaller galaxies outside of M33 and M31? that would be a major upgrade from a 60mm but be a lot easier to operate than the XT-8? My budget would be 500-1000. Thanks

Edited by Mr Brownstone
Mistakes

Sounds like you are after something with decent aperture, quick to set up and carry around the yard, ideally with something better than a red dot finder? I am a big fan of the 130-150mm F5 Newtonians for giving the best aperture in a lightweight package, especially the ones that don’t need collimating. I would suggest two options to think about:

These setups also have the advantage of being able to observe standing up, which removes the extra hassle of a chair, and is useful if you do quick ‘grab and go’ sessions.

The Celestron Starsense Explorer technology is excellent , but I don’t like the flimsy tripods and mounts on them - the 8”-10” dobsonias are the best, but these will be too bulky for you by the sound of it. 

Edited by RobertI

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

3 hours ago, RobertI said:

Sounds like you are after something with decent aperture, quick to set up and carry around the yard, ideally with something better than a red dot finder? I am a big fan of the 130-150mm F5 Newtonians for giving the best aperture in a lightweight package, especially the ones that don’t need collimating. I would suggest two options to think about:

These setups also have the advantage of being able to observe standing up, which removes the extra hassle of a chair, and is useful if you do quick ‘grab and go’ sessions.

The Celestron Starsense Explorer technology is excellent , but I don’t like the flimsy tripods and mounts on them - the 8”-10” dobsonias are the best, but these will be too bulky for you by the sound of it. 

I am interested in viewing only. I don't want to have to worry about collimation and want a quick and easy setup. I'm used to using a spotting scope for birding and prefer locating objects with tube pointing towards what I'm looking at not behind me like the Dobsonian style.

Edited by Mr Brownstone
Duplicate

An 8" telescope will enable you to view large numbers of galaxies from a dark skies site.  I personally experienced this by taking my 8"SCT (with GoTo) to a dark site in Devon on a couple of occasions.

Your choice therefore is whether to attach a finding apparatus to your XT-8, or to to ditch it and buy a Celestron C8 SE Goto scope or equivalent.

If the former, you could look into digital setting circles, possibly available as an option on Orions, or as an add-on.  Or look into the popular Celestron Starsense app system. It is only available bundled with a telescope outfit, but some people have been buying the cheapest scope in the range, and transferring the holder and license to their preferred scope.