NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter and Saturn 5-12-23 from North Cornwall

AstroNebulee

Finally the skies cleared and I was able to image Jupiter and Saturn. It was forecast to cloud over after a few hours so I went with the planetary imaging set up. As it turned out it stayed clear most of the night so I coukd of had my deep sky imaging set up out, hopefully next time. 

I took a series of captures of Jupiter to create an animation though missed a section as I wanted to image Saturn for probably the last time this year. 

Taken with skywatcher SM90 on AzGti az mode with x2 Barlow. Zwo asi120mc-s. Still images processed with As4, registax and photoshop. 

The animation created in Windows timelapse creator. 

Mainly 5000 frames on both Jupiter and Saturn. A few 10000 frames chucked in on Jupiter. Best 30% used in stacking. 

Lee 

Jupiter 5-12-23_edit_95310323920352.jpg

Saturn 5-12-23_edit_95105572687570.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, LaurenceT said:

Absolutely superb images Lee.

Thank you Laurence. That's very kind of you. I have to say it's the best Jupiter and Saturn images I have captured to date, I'm really pleased with what my SM90 can do . I know Saturn is way past its best but still has something to offer everyone. 

Lee 

• Like 1

Nice images Lee however I think you have slightly overdone the sharpening on the Jupiter image. I am learning from those people who are much better than me and trying to imitate their images with processing something similar. I've a long way to go. A saying that has stuck with me about processing Jupiter is " You're not making pizza". Pretty apt for a lot of beginner images.

Edited by bosun21
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Nice images Lee however I think you have slightly overdone the sharpening on the Jupiter image. I am learning from those people who are much better than me and trying to imitate their images with processing something similar. I've a long way to go. A saying that has stuck with me about processing Jupiter is " You're not making pizza". Pretty apt for a lot of beginner images.

Thank you, I appreciate your feedback. I like the saying about making pizza, which makes sense. I did wonder as I was sharpening Jupiter wether I went too harshly on it but thought by my eye looked on the edge of ok. I'll have another go at it 😊

Lee 

• Like 1

Nicely done Lee, but as others have said they’re a bit over sharpened.

I think it was me that posted the ‘pizza’ likeness comment a few weeks ago, so sorry for that, but it can be a very apt description for what some Jupiter images end up looking like. It was something said to me repeatedly by my planetary imaging mentor Dave Tyler many years ago and it really stuck, so I hope the analogy is helpful, not offensive to anyone where I’ve said that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, geoflewis said:

Nicely done Lee, but as others have said they’re a bit over sharpened.

I think it was me that posted the ‘pizza’ likeness comment a few weeks ago, so sorry for that, but it can be a very apt description for what some Jupiter images end up looking like. It was something said to me repeatedly by my planetary imaging mentor Dave Tyler many years ago and it really stuck, so I hope the analogy is helpful, not offensive to anyone where I’ve said that.

No problems at all it's a very apt analogy and description indeed, very helpful too. I thought I controlled the sharpening enough. Clouds landed again so something to try again on the data. 

Lee

• Like 2