Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sh2-238 (Hind's Variable Nebula) and Sh2-239 in a different light

gorann

These relatively often imaged objects are usually imaged in RGB. In fact I have not been able to find any narrow band images of this area. However, as the moon was out I decided to keep the NBZ dual band (Ha+Oiii) filter on, and hoped there would be a significant amount of Ha and Oiii emission in this area. To my surprise it picked up a lot of it, especially red (presumably Ha emitting) dust. It even picked up dust in areas where little or no dust is seen in RGB images, giving a rather different overall structure to these objects compared to what RGB images show. For example, this excellent IOTD by Jarrett Trezzo provides a striking comparison: https://www.astrobin.com/cmsh7t/E/.  Especially the dusty area in the central part of the image, catalogued by Lynds as LBN 819, is much larger in my NB image compared to RGB images.

Sh2-239 in the lower left, and Hind's Variable Nebula (aka NGC1444 or Sh2-238) in the upper right, both include Herbig-Haro objects. HH 102 respectively HH 155.

Imaged 5th December with my dual-RASA8 rig with ASI2600MC and IDAS NBZ filter. 96 x 5 min, so 8 hours. Processed in PI and PS with all the XT-tools.

Cheers, Göran

20231205 Hinds RASA1+2 PS18smallSign.jpg

Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 14.06.09.png

• Like 5

1 hour ago, tomato said:

Lots of detail and nicely rendered colours, and beautifully framed.👍

And that’s a minor planet in the top left hand corner for good measure?

Thanks a lot Steve! Sorry, but you lost me with the minor planet comment.....

2 hours ago, tomato said:

Lots of detail and nicely rendered colours, and beautifully framed.👍

And that’s a minor planet in the top left hand corner for good measure?

24 minutes ago, almcl said:

I think it might be top right, 95 Arethusa, that Steve is referring to?

Great I got it now and that explains that odd looking band that I could not find in other images of the area. It was obviously moving during my 8 hours of exposure. Probably my first minor planet:blob7:

2 minutes ago, gorann said:

Probably my first minor planet:blob7:

Wasn't RASA developed for sky surveys of minor planets and other "fast moving"  bodies that might come close to Earth? If so, you finally use the scope as intended. 😁

Great and surprising image, Göran.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Wasn't RASA developed for sky surveys of minor planets and other "fast moving"  bodies that might come close to Earth? If so, you finally use the scope as intended. 😁

Great and surprising image, Göran.

Thanks and Yes, this was a surprise! Is minor planet the category below dwarf planet?

Sorry, don’t know my left from my right! I wasn’t familiar with the annotation label and discovered it was a minor planet.

I do recall reading somewhere that NASA or some other institution was using RASAs for a sky survey for potential collision candidates.

14 hours ago, gorann said:

Thanks and Yes, this was a surprise! Is minor planet the category below dwarf planet?

Minor planets are asteroids and such, I think. I'm not sure about the exact differences, but I beleive that the distinction between planets / dwarf planets / minor planets is about size. The definition of a planet that I saw a long time ago was that a true planet has cleared its orbit of any other matter. Only larger bodies can do that. Asteroids / minor planets obviously haven't done so, or there wouldn't be an asteroid belt..

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

Minor planets are asteroids and such, I think. I'm not sure about the exact differences, but I beleive that the distinction between planets / dwarf planets / minor planets is about size. The definition of a planet that I saw a long time ago was that a true planet has cleared its orbit of any other matter. Only larger bodies can do that. Asteroids / minor planets obviously haven't done so, or there wouldn't be an asteroid belt..

Yes, I see that Wiki calls Arethusa "a large main belt asteroid", so obviously it has not cleared its orbit. So it is just a big asteroid.