Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Word of warning re AZ GTI

Just a quick note for those who are thinking of using the Star Adventurer counterweight bar for the AZ GTi. Make sure when buying the M8 to M12 thread adapter you get the correct thread. I originally ordered one off of eBay, which was this was shipped from abroad, and although the m8 thread fitted the bar ok, the m12 thread was too tight (if that is the correct term). I ended up causing a small amount of burring to the thread inside the mount. I ordered a second set of adapters off Amazon, where there were wider gaps on the m12 thread and this fits a treat. Just goes to show that cheap is definitely not better.

@Nick543 It sounds like you might be referring to the pitch of the thread, i.e. the distance between adjacent turns, which for a standard M12 is 1.75 mm. Finer pitches are possible, such as 1.5 mm, but are not common. It seems weird that someone would use a finer pitch, here. Maybe, they also make automotive parts, where fine pitches are not uncommon.

• Like 2

Anything mechanical or load bearing it's also wise not to use adaptors in the first place. An M12 bar has far less lateral flex than the M8 when screwed into the azgti too.

Edited by Elp

21 minutes ago, mikey152 said:

metric fine is more common than coarse

In what world? Metric coarse is the standard across virtually the whole of engineering, with fine threads being used only where required, or are you talking about some small specific part of astronomy such as filter threads?

• 1 month later...
On 04/12/2023 at 20:56, Mandy D said:

In what world? Metric coarse is the standard across virtually the whole of engineering, with fine threads being used only where required, or are you talking about some small specific part of astronomy such as filter threads?

Sorry my mistake. Coarse is the most common