Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10" Dob build - what approach to take?

badhex

Hello all,

I'm just about to start the polishing stage on a 10" mirror, somewhere between F5 and F6, though FL needs to be measured properly) and I'm thinking about what direction to take with the remaining build. I'll preface this by saying that I am pretty handy with DIY and very organised when it comes to project work, but don't have a workshop or similar to go with a full from-scratch build, only fairly standard power tools e.g. small circular, jigsaw, orbital sander, drill, impact driver, workmate etc. - though I am looking for any excuse to buy an angle grinder!

I'm thinking it would probably be easiest to buy some off-the-shelf bits and bobs which would presumably need to be modified slightly to fit the FL, and put them together. In the first instance I have an old 2" focuser which would probably replace with something nicer eventually, and I can probably get a secondary from the telescope makers club, but I have no mirror cell, tube, truss, base, spider, or anything else. I want to get decent parts, but not looking to splurge on super expensive premium brands, certainly not at the moment, due to funds.

So, what are my options? Are truss kits available? I've seen tubes available from TS, not sure of UK suppliers? Are there any good resources people can recommend for starting a build, and example build plans?

Anything else I need to think of?

TIA!

Edited by badhex
  • Like 1

Hi badhex, I recommended this book Engineering, Design and Construction of Portable Newtonian Telescopes Book by Albert Highe a couple of days ago to someone also wanting to build a scope. It contains every detail and tip you could ever want. The book is not easy to get hold of but I can loan you mine, if you are keen let me know. The benefit, I believe you would gain a clear idea of what's involved, and could then better judge what you can do given your limitations, and what you might need to buy.

Cheers

Edited by Mr H in Yorkshire
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m looking to convert my 16” SW flextube Dobsonian to a light weight mirror box/truss tube design. Take a look at “The Dobsonian Telescope” by David Kriege and Richard Berry, another very detailed how to design and build guide. It’s available on the internet as a pdf download.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Hi badhex, I recommended this book Engineering, Design and Construction of Portable Newtonian Telescopes Book by Albert Highe a couple of days ago to someone also wanting to build a scope. It contains every detail and tip you could ever want. The book is not easy to get hold of but I can loan you mine, if you are keen let me know. The benefit, I believe you would gain a clear idea of what's involved, and could then better judge what you can do given your limitations, and what you might need to buy.

Cheers

Thanks Mr H, I'll look into this, sounds like a good book. I'll dig around and see if there's a used copy or a PDF somewhere in the first instance. After a quick bit of research I believe it is now being reprinted by a US astro outfit, though currently still out of stock.

13 hours ago, tomato said:

I’m looking to convert my 16” SW flextube Dobsonian to a light weight mirror box/truss tube design. Take a look at “The Dobsonian Telescope” by David Kriege and Richard Berry, another very detailed how to design and build guide. It’s available on the internet as a pdf download.

Thanks, another great recommendation. I'll have a dig around for that one too.

I don't know if Beacon Hill Telescopes are still operating. Barry was always very helpful and can/could supply any bits and pieces needed. His price list is dated 2010!!! but there are comments of ongoing business in 2020. Worth a phone call.

Nigel

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Astrobits said:

I don't know if Beacon Hill Telescopes are still operating. Barry was always very helpful and can/could supply any bits and pieces needed. His price list is dated 2010!!! but there are comments of ongoing business in 2020. Worth a phone call.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, funnily enough I had a long conversation with Barry a few weeks back on another topic, and yes he's still working albeit semi retired.