Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Lucky Imaging with Neptune

orion25

It was quite a challenge, but I was up for it, and with a clear night calling I couldn't resist! Same setup: 180mm Mak, ASI 224mc, Celestron 2x Barlow, Firecapture, Registax 6, and Photoshop. The most difficult part was getting such a dim target (especially using Barlow) onto the sensor:

ASTRONOMY-NEPTUNE(ZWO)11-24-23GAUSSIAN.jpg.889f97e1b54ac427cd8dd2db46714ce5.jpg

For comparison, here again is my recent image of Uranus using the same setup:

ASTRONOMY-URANUS(ZWO)11-18-23GAUSSIAN.jpg.05919e75153d9f16f77c59905c74bc29.jpg

Cheers!

Reggie :D 

Edited by orion25
updated image
  • Like 8

4 hours ago, bosun21 said:

Great captures. I can imagine the difficulty of placing Neptune on a small sensor at that focal length. Perseverance pays off.

Thanks. You're not kidding with the placement! I made sure my finder was spot-on first of all. Then, I used a nearby "bright star", 20 Piscium, to focus. A little star hopping and field sweeping and I managed to get the little blue dot on Firecap's screen! Hooray! The image was still pretty dim even with the max exposure setting (10ms) and max gain but I got it :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geoflewis said:

Two excellent captures Reggie. I haven't imaged Neptune in nearly 10 years - I need to try that next year, maybe.

Thanks, Geof. If you do decide to try it again I will be waiting to see the result ;)

• Like 1