NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Today sees the start of something interesting...

Milamber

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK - need a bit of confirmation here. Got say 5 computers in the tower, with maybe a hub/switch networking them al together as a standalonr network allowing me to get the image files from the four imaging pc's onto the guiding/control pc. Can I then plug a WAP into the hub to get access for all 5 computers to the wireless network at the house? I don't have a WAP atm but I do have another wireless router/modem (Belkin) so could I plug this into the hub/switch and just bridge the two routers?

All I am after is a way to link the computers in the tower to the house (faster) Cube to allow me to move data between the two entities. Wireless because I may also need remote access to the house Cube from... say... Kelling Heath or somesuch :icon_rolleyes:

Arthur

Don;t need remote desktop since the tower will have a KVM on top - just need wireless access from the tower to "another network". Mesh looks good but still does not get away from my main worry with that sort of thing - one has to leave all of one's systems up, running, open and connectable. Read hackable too?

Collected one of the EVO PC's last night, two more coming dhl... spent too many pennies on cat5 cables, usb repeaters, iec power leads and so on - not to mention 10.100 switch, wireles bluetooth (drive beastie from pda, well cool :icon_rolleyes: ) and wireless normal (connect beastie to home/Kelling/local wifi) access points. Still looking for another EVO at least, maybe two - need one to control the others, the mount and the guidescope - which I *also* haven't sorted yet. Getting scarily expensive... even the box to put them all in is near £100 !!

Still, fun though!

Arthur

Should have asked about the cables just stripped a load out of a call center ;)

Peter...

Ah, but they wouldn't be colour-coded :icon_rolleyes: I now have to find the right coloured tape to mark all the cams/scopes/PCs/repeater cables the same!

Want a bet..... probably not to your scheme but...

I Got red green blue yellow black grey ....... in various lenghts from 0.5m to 2m as most people tend to color code the cables in a comms rack...

Also a load of IEC mains leads UPS's (need new batteries) , KVM's etc...

But your sorted anyway... which is the main thing...

No hubs they are so "yesterday".. Just Cisco superstack switches... none of them going though sorry :icon_rolleyes:

We re-batteried 7 KVA's worth of Redundant UPS's two 3.5 KVA units with 4 additional battery modules 180+ 7.2 AH batteries above them are 4 HP servers with Raid 5 arrays... redundant processors and supplies in them as well

thats one heavy rack...

Never mind - if I could afford the Cisco switches I'd be using a Paramount not a Synta...

Darren, yes - should be operational at least for planetary imaging for the SP, if I can convince/persuade a certain LE mod maestro to get busy between now and then we may be closer to the Wide Angle Space Photography that is the ultimate aim of the system. Going to be cool running it all wirelessly from a pda too :icon_rolleyes:

Arthur

PS - now you can see why I need an electric pitch!

LOL! Well i think you might be in luck milamber! Ive had confirmation that there is a leccy pitch available for you for the event! Just PM me the nights and ill get it sorted for you!

Just need you to send your deposit off ASAP and then you'll be sorted!

:icon_rolleyes:

Back on topic then, my arm allowed a little more work today - looks like the nasty injections might have done some good after all - so I managed to get the four 4" refractors onto the HEQ5 and get an idea of weight distribution and so on. Looking good - they are cuurently balanced perfectly, but check the amount of weight I needed to do this!

first-fit-1.jpg

first-fit-2.jpg

first-fit-3.jpg

first-fit-4.jpg

down-the-barrels.jpg

Arthur

Woha, thats a mean looking rig Aurthur. I hate to be a klljoy BUT do the uderslung scopes clear the mount when slewing ?

Barely - they are clamped rather than "ringed" as they would be in the final configuration though so not an issue, and I will also likely hang them off the end rather underneath as they are here.

Arthur

Cant wait for you to finish off setting these 4 scopes up and then producing some images from them all. Would be really good to see the difference it makes to just having 1.

Keep us updated.

Cheers

Neil

The four scopes are fixed, and no means of individuall alignment seems evident Arthur. I gather they are intended to target the same object, but perhaps not?

Ron.:icon_rolleyes:

In these pics yes, the four scopes are indeed fixed, but as I hinted in my reply to Bob, they will all be in rings in the final configuration. These pics were my first attempt to prove to myself that an HEQ5 can easily take the four scopes and the other stuff if two are underslung - I think I succeeded.

Arthur

Archived