Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Printing Astro Images as a PhotoBook

maxchess

How to share those great images? I have accumulated loads of images, some of which I have printed, however, the rest of my family does not have the same intensity of interest as I do and I am limited to displaying them in my study and the downstairs toilet. I was looking for a better way and considered a printed album. I am also a keen terrestrial photographer and joined the Royal Photographic Society.  They have levels of qualification which encourage you to become a better photographer. See: https://rps.org/qualifications/.  One of the genres is a "PhotoBook" defined by them as: "Photobooks are based on an idea or concept, with all aspects of the book, not only the photography, being aimed at the presentation and experience of the idea or concept to the reader. It differs from a book of photographs, where the book is the container for the photographs."   So there are great images, but also a narrative that ties them together. I took my Astrophotography images and tried to craft them into such a book. I found this a great way of presenting images to others. After two years of drafts and a few failures, I was eventually awarded my Associate qualification for my book“Deep Sky Wonder -mages from Beyond the solar system”.

A few images are shown below, there are 23 in the book.

I have found this gives a new direction and incentive to my imaging and I am now working on my next photobook project.

WBroom.jpg

M33.jpg

NAmerNeb.jpg

Orion Sword.jpg

• Like 1

Congratulations on achieving Associate status with the RPS! You must be very pleased to have the quality and artistry of your work recognised by the professionals.

As thew number of images I am pleased with steadily climbs, I have been thinking about photobooks as a way of making them available to friends and family. At the moment I am having them photoprinted by processing houses and stuck in a scrapbook.

Lots of digital photography processing houses offer photobooks and the prices are not excessive. Could you add a photo of your book to the thread?