NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42....that time again.

paul mc c

As the others say, best way is to capture two sets of subs for this target, and then apply some sort of HDR processing (I use Pixinsight, and the HDR processing works very well). With my last RASA attempt I used 20 second subs for the main shot, and a smallish number of 2 second subs for the core. To get to this I trialled shorter sub-lengths, looking at unstretched results until I had something that wasn't blown.

Do your 8 second subs give you a non-blown out core and separation of Trapezium stars when un-stretched? If so, maybe HDR compression would still work. Not sure what post-processing tools you use and whether this is an option?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fegato said:

Do your 8 second subs give you a non-blown out core and separation of Trapezium stars when un-stretched? If so, maybe HDR compression would still work. Not sure what post-processing tools you use and whether this is an option?

Yes a bit blown out,I use APP...actually just came across 2,4,6,8 and 10 sec subs I must have done earlier in the month and the 2 sec clearly shows the Trapezium so will give it one last try with shorter subs.

• Like 1