Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

StarSense Explorer LT 80 AZ Alternative mount question

Hi , I recently managed to get a Celestron StarSense Explorer LT 80 AZ cheap on eBay just for the Starsense unit which I was planning on using on a dobsonian, and maybe selling the scope on. I took the LT 80 outside the last couple of nights, and have to say I'm suitably impressed with the optics, the images of Jupiter were very good. I didn't use the supplied diagonal or eyepieces, and the mount, although useable, has a lot to be desired.

I'm now looking at keeping the scope, but ditching the mount/tripod for something a bit more stable. I've seen that I could possibly get some rings and a dovetail for it, but I'm unsure what mount to go for, an AZ or an EQ. I don't want to go overboard and spend a huge amount on a new mount/tripod as the scope itself doesn't warrant it, just something that will make it more stable and easier to aim the scope and adjust. I've done a quick search on the forum and found where people have transferred the Starsense unit to other scopes, but not used the Scope on other mounts. Anyone have any suggestions or have done something like this themselves?  Thanks,

Andy. 

SSE.jpg

• Like 1

I have the 70mm version (Starsense removed) - I’ve repurposed some guidescope rings and a dovetail and it sits nicely on my AZ4 mount. The scope is so light that it also sits ok on my mini-Giro mount on a heavy duty photo tripod. 

IMG_0723.thumb.jpeg.58a48399c5f29edc4d465c3960d9950b.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Rob, the mount definitely looks more stable than the current one, and I like the fact that it looks fairly simple and quick to move the scope. I was looking at a couple of cheap AZ and AZ telescopes on Marketplace today that may be an option, but I will still need rings and a dovetail for the LT. I've noticed that the 80 and 90 use the same tube, so it looks like I may be able to get something sorted out. Thanks again.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, AndyM001 said:

I've also just seen this on another forum that would be ideal, that way I could swap the unit from scope to scope without unscrewing the mount., just need to find somewhere that can print it out.

StarSense.jpg

StarSense1.jpg

@Ratlet kindly produced a couple of these for me and may be able to assist…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stu said:

@Ratlet kindly produced a couple of these for me and may be able to assist…

Did you ever get clear skies to try it out lol?  No idea if the side saddle configuration works.

I designed a similar one (with a couple different mounting options) to allow it to ride side saddle for those who have posh mounts.

https://www.printables.com/model/559841-starsense-explorer-finder-shoe-mount-holder

I'm speaking to Andy now.  Sure I'll be able to sort something out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ratlet said:

Did you ever get clear skies to try it out lol?  No idea if the side saddle configuration works.

I designed a similar one (with a couple different mounting options) to allow it to ride side saddle for those who have posh mounts.

https://www.printables.com/model/559841-starsense-explorer-finder-shoe-mount-holder

I'm speaking to Andy now.  Sure I'll be able to sort something out.

These are superb! 😀
https://www.printables.com/model/368783-standardised-125-telescope-astronomy-eyepiece-filt

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Coco said:

I was quite chuffed with them.  Even more chuffed when someone else finds them useful!

The 2" version required being redesigned from the ground up as the diameter meant 2 threads were required to get it to close properly.

Best of all I almost never get thumb prints on my filters now, as opposed to before when I seemed to get them by looking at them.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Filters and fingerprints are a mishap waiting to happen. I now handle my filters as if they are radioactive with the utmost care. I got a handle on the filters but my sloppiness got a fingerprint on my camera sensor. At least they are removed easy enough.