Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Winjupos help

Hello.

Ive been trying to get a decent image of Jupiter for over 1 month now, seeing conditions have not been great here and so far ive been disappointed with my results.

Im using a 10" newtonian which is well collimated, QHY462C camera with good frame rates, TV barlow.

Last night 1 took 4 videos with the hope of stacking them and hopefully get an improvement with de-rotation in Winjupos,  Im not sure what im doing wrong but the final image looks smeared.

Watched a few tutorials and not getting good results, Ive shown below single stacked SER file and combination of 4 stacked SERs in Winjupos.

Any pointers appreciated.

Mark

2023-11-07-2108_7.png

2023-11-07-2103_2_lapl5_ap656 jup1.png

Edited by Astroscot2

Unless all of your 4 tiffs are of the same quality you will not get a good result; it's likely the case here. For the derotation, did you set the time in the middle of the 4 captures? . At the moment the seeing is awful so don't expect Winjupos to do miracles. Last night I couldn't even focus in IR on Jupiter which shows how bad the weather is. I haven't managed a decent colour capture for a few weeks now.

Hello.

Thanks for the reply, yes the seeing has been poor. Im not sure what you mean by setting the time for the middle of the captures, my understanding is that Winjupos takes the UT time from the image info and de-rotates accordingly, unless ive missed this on the tutorials?

Mark

20 hours ago, Astroscot2 said:

Hello.

Ive been trying to get a decent image of Jupiter for over 1 month now, seeing conditions have not been great here and so far ive been disappointed with my results.

Im using a 10" newtonian which is well collimated, QHY462C camera with good frame rates, TV barlow.

Last night 1 took 4 videos with the hope of stacking them and hopefully get an improvement with de-rotation in Winjupos,  Im not sure what im doing wrong but the final image looks smeared.

Watched a few tutorials and not getting good results, Ive shown below single stacked SER file and combination of 4 stacked SERs in Winjupos.

Any pointers appreciated.

Mark

2023-11-07-2108_7.png

2023-11-07-2103_2_lapl5_ap656 jup1.png

Hi Mark,

Sorry, but initially I have more questions than answers...

1. What duration is each SER
  2. What % of each SER are you stacking
  3. What other software apart from WinJupos are you using, e.g. AS3!, Registax, Astrosurface, etc.

As @Kon says, it's important to only include good data into WinJupos derotation.

If the seeing is bad, then unfortunately you will not get good results, as planetary imaging is very intolerant of poor seeing. Your equipment is well suited to high res planetary imaging, so one just has to keep trying....

Hello Geof

Keeping the capture duration to 90 seconds max.

Taking the stacked file into PIPP to align frames.

I'm using AS3 to analyse and stack, typically I aim for the top 10% quality frames which can be around 1000 frames total.

Registax 6 for wavelets, sharpening and De-noise

Winjupos to de-rotate and stack final images

Pixinsight for final adjustments.

During the Mars opposition last year, I was getting fairly good results with the above excluding Winjupos and Mars was only 18" ,  I sort of expected good detail on Jupiter also,  im Not seeing the wow effect of wavelets at alll on Jupiter.

Mark

Edited by Astroscot2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Astroscot2 said:

Hello Geof

Keeping the capture duration to 90 seconds max.

I'm using AS3 to analyse and stack, typically I aim for the top 10% quality frames which can be around 1000 frames total .

Taking the stacked file into PIPP to align frames.

Registax 6 for wavelets, sharpening and De-noise

Winjupos to de-rotate and stack final images

Pixinsight for final adjustments.

During the Mars opposition last year, I was getting fairly good results with the above excluding Winjupos and Mars was only 18" ,  I sort of expected good results on Jupiter also with more detail. Not seeing the wow effect of wavelets at all..

Mark

Hi Mark,

Apart from using PIPP those steps all seem fine to me. I only question use of PIPP as AS3! should have aligned everything fine before stacking, so are you using PIPP before or after AS3!.

If you'r confident about  collimation and have 'cooled' the scope sufficiently, then I suspect it's just poor seeing - it's the main killer for us in the UK. I had several nights of good seeing recently under a persisting 'high', but I think that you're much further north than me where there was lingering low pressure which generally is less favourable. WinJupos won't help if the source images aren't good enough. Believe me I've had weeks and months where I could get nothing usable.....

Hello Geof.

Fairly clear last night so took a number of SERs over the evening,  I tried the IR 685 filter and was pleased with the results, what a difference it made to the overall image, I could quite clearly see details in poles on screen.

I have 70GB to look through and this quickly processed image made me happier.

Mark 

2023-11-11-2324 sgl.png