Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cygnus wall - New Scope First Light

Roy Foreman

New scope means clouds.  Or in my case two storms, floods, gales and everything else in between.

So last night, with the promise of clear skies for 3 hours, I set up and started imaging the Cygnus Wall.  10 minutes later it was raining !

All I got was 9 x 60sec subs.  I wasn't expecting much at all. but the end result surprised me, as did the performance of my newest scope - a Skywatcher MN190 Mak-Newt !

Camera was a ZWO ASI 6200 MC Pro full frame OSC with IDAS NB1 tri-band filter.

Here is what I ended up with :-

2023-11-07 USA 60s NB1.jpg

• Like 19

Great result. Something to build on rather than it all going wrong and first light being a disaster.

I had an MN190 many years ago. It's a good scope and your result proves it. Look forward to more results from that combination in the future.

41 minutes ago, fwm891 said:

Great result. Something to build on rather than it all going wrong and first light being a disaster.

I had an MN190 many years ago. It's a good scope and your result proves it. Look forward to more results from that combination in the future.

Thank you !

Yes, I have read many good reports on the MN190 and even though this is just a first test I can seen that the quality is there- better than my 10 F/4 Quattro, which may now have to go !

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Yes the MN190 is a great scope had one years ago, sold it. But was awesome.............

So I keep hearing ! Only used it once but already I can see why people love it.  Image quality appears to be superior to a straight newtonian with nice tight round stars. And pretty much covers a full frame sensor.  Looking forward to the next clear night, whenever that might be !

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

The MN190 is on my wish list, but something else will have to go to make room for it!

I nearly bought one some years ago but could not find confirmation that it would cover a full frame sensor, so got the 10" Quattro CF instead. A great scope but I can already see that the MN190 has better fidelity and is not much slower. Surprising that the design is not more popular.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Roy Foreman said:

I nearly bought one some years ago but could not find confirmation that it would cover a full frame sensor, so got the 10" Quattro CF instead. A great scope but I can already see that the MN190 has better fidelity and is not much slower. Surprising that the design is not more popular.

Other than price, I can see no good reason why it is not more popular. I think the 200P is going to have to go if I get one.

7 hours ago, Mandy D said:

Other than price, I can see no good reason why it is not more popular. I think the 200P is going to have to go if I get one.

I think it might me a little heavier than your 200P. I seem to recall you saying that you also had a 300PDS.  If you can manage that then the MN190 will be a breeze, go for it !