Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Quick jup, io and ganymede from my bedroom

powerlord

Asiair video really improved a lot. So this is first time I've done jupiter with it automatically from the comfort of my bed. Usually I'm out there manually focusing, faffing with laptop and eyepieces, etc.

But with new asi678, fov is enough for it to goto it on my 200pds, and get a decent pic. Makes the whole thing a heck of a lot easier.

This is first light for asi678. Well impressed with it.

jupiter-io-ganymede.jpg

• Like 10

yeh, from the pro on it has them. but until recently the fps was always a bit rubbish. I don't know what they have changed, but it now seems to buffer in memory for a bit and write them out in bigger chunks resulting in far better raw fps. I mean, its only to an SD card so it's never going to equal what you can get to a laptop ssd, but I was getting >100fps at 480p. That's the other limitation - 1080p max, and you can only choose specific sizes. And its fixed at 8 bit raw.

So, it a poor second to a laptop and fire capture or whatever, but on the other hand, automatic counts for a lot - because of the hassle I reckon I only try planets, moon maybe 2 or 4 times a year. But by sticking a small pixel but larger MP camera on like the asi678 I can still have plate solving, have the asiair still guiding and get decent results.

fyi - guiding is a bit weird with it - in that once its all in the rough area, don't enable guiding until in video mode and moved it to be right in the centre. then go back out to preview, guiding, and turn it on. then it will stay locked.

If instead you start guiding after the goto, and then in video mode find its not centred and needs minor adjustments, the guiding will continue to fight them and move it back to where it was.

• Like 1